Acer support tried to sell me $200 Network Access Protection.

khelben1980

Beta member
Here is the story. I've been having trouble with my Acer laptop gamma setting. The default setting is way too bright so I take the slider all the way down. For some reason though when I play certain games the gamma will reset to default after I close the game. I then have to go back in and reset the gamma everytime I played these games.

I got tired of this and couldn't find a solution so I called Acer tech support for help. I talked on the phone with a tech and he had me connect my computer to him so he could look at it. He found that the flash player update was stopped instead of running and said that what was causing the problem. He brought up another screen with a bunch of errors and warnings, one of which mentioned the game I was playing, and said that it could be a network issue causing all this. So he runs a network scan which takes several minutes and it ends up showing that my network has been hacked.

"network compromised!!"
"ugunda ip conflict!!"
"6155 hacking files!"

It shows 5 active connections and only 2 have my computer name.

He claimed that if I were to get rid of my computer and got a new one that my ip address would still be hacked. The only way to fix the network, and hence fix the gamma issue, would be to pay $180 +10% tax to sign up for a 5 year network protection.

I don't know much about this so I wanted to research it first. Paying $200 to protect my ip address seems silly to me. What can you guys tell me?

More info: I just have my laptop hooked straight up to the modem at home. It's the only connected device I have.

Sounds like a scare tactic scam to me. Take it to a reputable place with a reference from a friend and get another opinion, Make sure your windows firewall is enabled and a $50. router has a hardware firewall built in to it. Get one of those too

Last edited:
I don't know much about this so I wanted to research it first. Paying $200 to protect my ip address seems silly to me. What can you guys tell me?

More info: I just have my laptop hooked straight up to the modem at home. It's the only connected device I have.

Thats where your problem lies at, see what I highlighted ?

For starters what os do you use ?
Do you have a fire wall ?
Do you use windows built in firewall or no ?
what type of antivirus/spyware program do you use ?
I also agree with joe mostly but I can tell you not to bother to get another opinion.
If acer wants 200 bucks for protection like that, ask what program and company they are under.

I advise you to read the links I provided, if anything I recommend you use zone alarm free edition.
I stopped using firewalls 2 years ago, mainly I manage my own network and security and I know what to do and not to do home or business wise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(computing)
The Best Free Firewalls | PCMag.com

Back
Top Bottom