acer aspire 5252 bios update fail and other stuff - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default acer aspire 5252 bios update fail and other stuff

acer aspire 5252 bone stock except hdd upgrade
win 7
i dont really know anything else about the hardware in case it matters

two issues

1. some of my buttons on the keyboard do not work. what would be the best way to test if it is the keyboard(ebay replacements are 10bucks) or something else.

2.main big issue. i recently got this from my little bro who corrupted the hdd. Replaced that hdd, and threw windows 7 on it. Powered on fine. Got to windows tried to add more generic software(chrome, etc). Totally Forgot to add drivers so i couldn't really do much until i fixed that. I added all those and figured might as well update the bios while I'm at it.

Bios flash fail. I used acer software and bios from their site(the newest version). No interuptions during the update or anything like that. Everything SEEMED to have gone fine.

System restarts and now will not get pass post boot(i think thats the right term). Supposedly no big right? I looked up a manual to flash the bios either with dos or in crisis mode. Can't boot enough to make it to dos and last hope is crisis mode.

I can't seem to figure out how to trigger it. According to the manual the correct sequence is
1 no battery add usb(with the bios in root directory)
2 press and hold fn+esc than add ac power cord
3 press power button once
(now according to other forums power button led should flash once orange)
4 press power button again and you will be in crisis mode

You should see usb led working and doing stuff and it should take a few minutes while it flashes itself

I cant get past step 2. i never see the power button flash orange or even just flash at all. It just stays constantly on and normal boot operation happens. I can see my usb is being registered and responding. I don't think it is trying to flash the bios though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i need this laptop for summer school and that started 2 days ago :/. Thanks in advance

edit*

service guide I am using
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/118....html?page=185

mr.birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: acer aspire 5252 bios update fail and other stuff

You say keyboard buttons don't work... is it possible that one of those buttons is also either the Fn or Esc key, not allowing you to enter the crisis recovery mode?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
You say keyboard buttons don't work... is it possible that one of those buttons is also either the Fn or Esc key, not allowing you to enter the crisis recovery mode?
Totally forgot to add i also thought of that and used a exernal keyboard, good catch though. So when it goes into post boot it will beep when i hit esc or fn(so i am pretty sure it's registering them)
Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok update i made a ms dos boot usb and was able to "flash" things that way. But still failed. I am starting to thing the acer bios utility is bad. Because when i run the program in dos it says "
current bios n/a
new bios n/a"
i feel like it should have my old bios(if there was one) and forsure should show my new one. I have tried 3 different bios from acer directly and not sure what to do next because none of them are working.

Acer | Download
using this with my aspire 5252 brings up a list of drivers. I have tried starting with the newest 2.14 then 2.12 and 2.11. I sadly do not know what i originally had working on this unit before the flash fail :/

suggestions?