ACER Aspire 5100 boot up no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
so i have an acer aspire 5100 laptop that i bought(without doing enough research)
thinking that its somethign i can fix.
after 2 days of reading endess posts about ACER=no video i feel like theres very slim chances of fixing it myself.
the problem:
apparently a very,very common problem with acer laptops regardless of model
you push the power button
fan turns on power light turns on
green light next to power button turns on and then off
and nothing
LCD screen doesnt even flicker

but it boots up randomly and rarely with no problems
some people had luck with different stuff

heres what i tried to do so far
connect it to external monitor
pull the acessories out one by one
ram bank2 ( and swaped them around)
cdrom,wireless card,hard drive,battery, keyboard,disconnect lcd harness from MB
took the bios battery out and tried to boot up and put it back in tried to boot up
hold the power button down etc.

no canges.

what i found is theres a way to load up the bios from flash card on aspire one

so i pressed the ALT+Esc and power on the acess light turned solid and didnt do anything.
since i couldnt see anything on the screen i couldnt follow thru.

finally i started looking online for a replacement motherboard and was kinda disappointed.
how can a part of something cost more than the whole thing? its fkn amazing magic of the retail world

the complete brand new PC of same model costs less than the motherboard alone.

so that is not a route im planning to take

i called a guy that says he can fix the problem for like 120 bucks without replacing the motherboard.
SO if he can fix it why isnt there anything mentioned online as to what component is causing the problem?

i mean for all you PC repair guys its not like anyone gonna repair their acer for 400-500 dollars when they can buy it for 350 online.

so you are really not losing any business.

anyway back to topic... i was kinda upset with all the limited lifespan of the electronics that magically ends right after warranty.

can anyone on this board help me find the real issue and fix it?
like what is the common cause of this type of failure?
RAM? CPU? onboard video?
i m able to solder the surface mounted components myself i ve done it few times but i wouldnt know which one to solder or replace in this case.

the repair guy that i talked to was pretty confident that he can fix it, but i dont want to pay 120 dollars and have it break down in few months.
so theres a way to fix it then.

could be that this guy is handy with a soldering iron and that somewhere on the mobo there is a trailing power connection, dont pay to get this fixed IMO because it probably would just happen again.

personally i can replace power input sockets with my iron and thats it lol but a faulty motherboard is the only thing i can think off.

stay away from acers tbh, nothing but trouble and cheaply made

well i found out too late.
it looked pretty decent and features were ok.
i thought it was something i could fix by replacing one of the cheaper components.

but turned out to be pretty expensive.

so nobody here has experience with laptop motherboard repair?

ok heres an update.
yesterday i took it apart down to the motherboard flipped it around and went thru every component with a magnifying glass to see if i find any visible cold solder points.
i resoldered 3 out of 4 ram connectors where they connect to motherboard, could not get to the 4th one.
resoldered few chips also went thru all other components and pushe don them to see if it makes any effect (none).

tried ot power up the system no results. so i said faq it and heated up the graphics chip with a heatgun hoping to expand the connections if there were any loose ones.

put it all back together and turned it on again no luck

so i took one of the memory sticks out and IT WORKED

i was able to acess the bios menu
and it even gave me the realtek network adapter error
media load something something
and after that it just go to blinkin cursor
the geek squad guy said its most likely related to faulty harddrive or corrupted.

so i go home and it doesnt power up again....
but it reads the cdrom windows setup disk.

im confused

blinking cursor is usually a master boot record failure, it'll boot to the CD rom setup goes through windows, installs the setup files then you reboot and its just the blinking curser, get a third party tool to zero fill it, if the screen actually works....

sorry little confused, theres no power....but the CDrom still works? lol? or is it the screen again?

its back to the original problem. i donno what i did to make it work yesterday but it hasnt booted up since

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom