accidently spoiled an egg on my motherboard - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to anggun999
Default accidently spoiled an egg on my motherboard

hi guys.. I have an open chasis computer, which components are totally exposed. i accidently droped an egg on to the motherboard. The egg cracked, and the motherboard is like a frying pan. The transformator of the PSU also got some. I didn't know what to do. so I shut down the computer, and tried to wipe the egg off the motherboard. but I guess it was too late. the egg now turned white and plastic hard.., and impossible to remove with a cloth. I tried to turn back the computer on, but after 3 minutes, it just lost it's power. I guess the egg did a short circuit on the components.

I then waited for 1 hour, hoping to find an answer on how to remove the harden egg off the motherboard. I turned the computer on ( again), and now after 15 minutes shut down automatically. I turned it back on, and never had a problem since then.

it's been about 2 hours, since the computer didn't shut down.

my question is.. what should I do? should I leave the egg and continue to use my computer normally?

thanks for your help guys..

anggun999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just Epic.

Default Re: accidently spoiled an egg on my motherboard

I actually laughed really hard at this! Seems like a massive troll post but i assume it isn't seeing as though you joined in 2005.

I don't know what you can do to be honest. If your PC is functioning like normal again I would just leave it and carry on using it as you usually do, if it isn't working properly the way i see it is you only have three options.

1) Try and clean it with something (Can't suggest what as I've never had this problem)
2) Bring it to a repair shop somewhere for them to see if they can repair it.
3) Build or buy a new PC and use this one as a frying pan.

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
I actually laughed really hard at this! Seems like a massive troll post but i assume it isn't seeing as though you joined in 2005.

I don't know what you can do to be honest. If your PC is functioning like normal again I would just leave it and carry on using it as you usually do, if it isn't working properly the way i see it is you only have three options.

1) Try and clean it with something (Can't suggest what as I've never had this problem)
2) Bring it to a repair shop somewhere for them to see if they can repair it.
3) Build or buy a new PC and use this one as a frying pan.
1) Use high percentage isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% would be best), and either a lint free cloth (microfiber), or if you want something cheap to use... use coffee filters. They're cheap, and you get a lot in a package.

Option 3 would probably be the best option, however. I would stop trying to turn it on... if anything, it's making it worse and you could further damage other components.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

another possibility is to get a toothbrush and see if it'll get into the nooks and cranny's
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
another possibility is to get a toothbrush and see if it'll get into the nooks and cranny's
Yeah, that would be a good one to use as well.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

+1 on toothbrush.

I actually use a stiff bristle paint brush dipped in 98% medical grade alcohol to clean boards most the time, at least, when it comes to getting crud off of them, if that fails, I tend to take a tooth brush to it for some better scrubbing action. Just be careful and DON'T knock a transistor or cap off of the motherboard.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you all for the replies.. and sorry for my late reply..

I'll definitely try all the suggested solutions..

I'll get back as soon as I have. ( the computer is however working just fine.. no more power losses or what so ever. I'm just so worried that someday it will produce fire or something. that would NOT be good)
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ah man, this was a funny case.

If cleaning it doesn't work, take it to a PC shop before you build a new one just in case they have some tricks up their sleeves.

NZXT Phantom | Intel i5-3570k 3.4Ghz | Asus P8Z77-V | CoolerMaster V6 GT | Ripjaws
8GB 1600mhz | EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB | Corsair HX750 Watt |SB 1.5TBHDD
7200 RPM+WD 500GB 7200RPM | OCZ Vetex 3 120GB SSD | Lite-On 24x Reader/Writer/Burner Drive |
Razer Naga MMO Gaming Mouse | Razer Lycosa Gaming Mouse | Logitech G930 Gaming Headset
iceyc0ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

We just gave the, "tips n tricks" shops would use. Most of the older members here with higher post counts tend to work at shops or in IT departments :-\
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
We just gave the, "tips n tricks" shops would use. Most of the older members here with higher post counts tend to work at shops or in IT departments :-\
Cool! I'll keep that in mind..