Accessing an Internal Hard Drive via a USB - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Accessing an Internal Hard Drive via a USB

I have a Hitachi 80GB internal hard drive and I am trying to access teh data in my hard drive by connecting the internal hard drive to a 32 pin connector which has a usb connection on the other end (Is it called an IDE cable?). My laptop detects the USB connection but an error pops up saying that the drivers are not installed properly and as a result I cant see the drive.

Does anyone have any ideas? At this point I am planning on buying a USB external hard drive enclosure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to ibelous

try connecting the hard drive while the laptop is on. then goot your control panel and double click "Add Hardware" let it run through and windows should detect it and install the proper drivers by itself.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried doing that and It showed me a list of hardwares to choose from and I could not find anything that says hardrive there.

Would you know which item I have to choose from that list?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re:

If it's a 3.5" drive, then you need an external power cord to power the drive (one with a molex connector).

Are you using one?

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 03-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, I have a power cord connected to the hard drive and a 32pin female connector at one end and a usb interface at the other end.
Essentially with this hardware my hd becomes an external HD with the only difference that its not in an enclosure.

I also tried changing my hd from master to slave, but that did not work either....Any suggestions?
Closed Thread