access denied--file search on poss. corrupt slaved drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiBlue

Beta member
hello all. i'm trying to salvage files from a laptop drive that was throwing me the blue screen of death (XP). i got one of those ide to usb adapters to slave the drive and pull the important stuff off. however, after i click "documents and settings" and then i try to access the user account that i want to access it says "access is denied." is there any way around this? i was told by the owner that a password for the account was never required upon windows xp startup.

when i click the I: drive in "my computer", it says that the laptop drive has 28 gigs used. however, when i open the i drive and select everything it tells me only 5.4 gigs is used. i need to gain access to the rest of the used space. it contains thousands of pictures and documents that i need. does anyone know how i can get to them? thanks

Pull the hard drive from the laptop and buy a converter so that you can install it on a PC. Then copy everything over provided that you can see your data.

no see that's the thing. i've got the adapter plugged in and i'm sitting here viewing all the files (except those ones i want). if i try to copy, cut, send to, yadda yadda it says access denied, cannot create or copy ____. and i can't see all the files. i can only see the overall size when i right click the drive properties in my computer.

try running a defrag on it, first off. along with any diagnostic cleans, like virus scanning, even spyware scan if you feel froggy.

ok i did what that article said but when i click the "share this folder" button and click "apply" it says there is an error in sharing the file and the shared resource was not created. could a virus have caused the thing to get locked up like this? it is imperative i get to these files. thanks shawn, and sorry for double posting.

go into safe mode and taking ownership (by setting permissions) of the files or copy and paste the files inside of the folder while in safe mode

holy shit i got it. i had to keep reading the microsoft page. I FREAKING LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! thanks shawn for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom