Acces Denied on My Cloned External Drive How do I gain Access. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Acces Denied on My Cloned External Drive How do I gain Access.

So I have a dell dimension 4600 running XP HOme Edition-all service paks and updates completed (yeah I know its old). I also have a 400 gig Iomega external.
I cloned my Dell's Hard drive to the external and used the dell system reboot disk to re-install windows XP.

Here is the process I did step by step:

1st: I cloned the entire Hard disk on the Dimension to the Iomega External using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.

2nd: After the program completed the Clone process, I then wiped the hard drive using the dell system re-install disk.

3rd: I attached the external to access the files, the computer designated the drive as Drive 'D'. I installed the network and Ethernet/LAN drivers.

4th: I went online and installed AVG antivirus.

5th: I tried to open the My documents folder on the external
The Adddress of the folder on the external
D:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents
-I got this error message:
"D:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents is not accessible.

Access Denied"

6th: the only other folders aside from 'OWNER' are 'GUEST' and 'ALL USERS'. The latter two folders only have shared documents

7th: The Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is still available on the External which again is a clone of the drive before I wiped and Reinstalled

8th: There were no passwords associated with Owner, once you turned on the computer it was immediate access no log in required.

My Question is how do I gain Access to:
"D:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents" AND ALL THE FILES CONTAINED WITHIN?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets
Default Re: Acces Denied on My Cloned External Drive How do I gain Access.

You have to login to the OS as administrator then go into the windows explorer folder options (under view tab then tools). Then uncheck the simple file sharing option bit. It's at the bottom. This will enable the "Security" tab under a folder's properties. Then navigate to the folder you want access to, alt click it and goto properties. Goto the security tab and add your name or the list. Should be able to access it then.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

OK That Did Not Work- while trying that, i found that I AM logged in as the Administrator. The Folders I am trying to access on the Extrenal Drive do not have a security Tab.

I was however able to connect the external drive to a mac book and access most of the files I was locked out of but not all. The ones still inaccessible have a lock on the folders.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

In order to gain access to the files, you need to take ownership. With Windows XP Home, you must boot into Safe Mode, then log on to your administrator account, in order to take ownership of files/folders.

Procedure outlined here:

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Closed Thread