Acceptable GPU Temperatures?

AngryNerd

Beta member
Okay. I'm far from being a Techie, but I'm getting there. Recently I've downloaded a GPU monitor for the Windows Sidebar in Vista, and my GPU idles around 64 degrees Celsius. When playing Minecraft recently, I've noticed temperatures as high as 95 degrees Celsius. Minecraft was the only program running at the time. This seems to be quite hot to me, especially considering I was only playing Minecraft, but I'm not in the know. My GPU is an ATi Radeon HD 4800 series. I do plan to open up my case and clean out the dust soon, but I'm concerned about electrostatic discharge frying my computer. I don't have the means to replace anything at the moment. Also, does anyone know of any good temperature indication software for CPUs, GPUs, etc? I'm not sure of the quality of the one I have. Thanks in advance.

Personally I use Hardware Monitor for when I need to look at component temperatures.

64C is way too hot at idle (unless you live in the Sahara). I'd really recommend dusting the inside of your case when you can, since if it gets too hot it can break. Make sure there's as little dust on the case and GPU fans as possible.
What fans does your case have?

What is your computer model?

This sounds like a prebuilt with the onboard 4800 chip. If this is correct, the temps are not unexpected.

A good test if its cooling is to pop open the side door/panel. If it drops than you got lack of air flow.

As a fyi, gpus are good till around 100-105C before throttling and shut down.

Yeah, this is a prebuilt Dell Studios XPS desktop. I'm actually looking into the case right now, and as hard as I've looked, I still don't see any indication of what fans I have.

The temperature doesn't seem to have fluctuated much between having the side panel on/off, so I don't think it's air flow. There is some dust on it, not an obscene amount, but some. I'm strapped for cash at the moment, so I have not had a chance to pick up any air duster, I will soon however.

Currently I'm using Open Hardware Monitor to manually run the GPU fan at a constant 60% capacity, and that keeps the temperatures to around 54C instead of 64C at idle, though it does not appear to help much when actually running anything. I'm mostly concerned about the longevity of this computer, seeing as I don't have the means of replacing it, or any parts. As long as temperatures around 90C aren't terrible for it, then my concerns have been eased.

Back
Top Bottom