A8N32-SLI DELUXE COOL'N'QUITE & QFan Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Question A8N32-SLI DELUXE COOL'N'QUITE & QFan Problem

Hi all,
For all you people, a bit poor like me and still running these old boards, i need you experience and help, as the user manual i downloaded does'nt help much. I have QFAN AND COOL' N 'QUITE enabled on this board. Also have PC Probe 2 installed and running. If i open a few ie exploer windows and run a open gl or high end screen saver such as really slick or marine aquarium at the same time the cpu temp rises to about 42-43 c and the cpu fan rises to about the 2100-2300 rpm mark. All pretty normal to me. However if i run SPYBOT-Search & Destroy, check for probs scan it maxes out the cpu from
1000mhz to 2000mhz. Within no time the temp is up to about 45 ,46 and the cpu fan is screaming at about 5000rpm. And strangely if i have a chasis fan connected to fan 1 on the board doing the same process the cpu fan was reaching 6200rpm!! , that was with a temp of about 48-50c. So it seems to me that on this model board the fan speed is also linked to the cpu load . I've had an a8s-x and an a8n sli premium and they did,nt behave like this. Max speed i saw on those boards was in the low 3000rpm. All gear is the same just a different board, board swap ,nothing else. Is this a bad set up on these particular boards or bios or both ?. Not sure what to do. Would i be better off dissabling qfan and controlling speeds with SPEEDFAN? Unlike other bios's in the A8N RANGE THIS ONE DOESN,T have the " when cpu temp reaches this temp fan runs at max speed" option.
So im looking forward to your help and advice,before my cpu fan burns out!. Thanks Brunoboy.

Operating System System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Model Processor a
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Display
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
n Circuit Board
Old 04-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: A8N32-SLI DELUXE COOL'N'QUITE & QFan Problem

i'd try speedfan, see if you like it, if you like it. i never really liked it much, myself. i would rather suggest an aftermarket HSF that you can control the speed on directly, like a zalman cnps 9500. i have one and it will get whisper quiet and still cool. of course, every other fan in my box is cranked up, so i just run it full out, too. heh.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks nagasama , i'm now using SPEEDFAN and once you work out how to configure it properly it works well at throttling the speeds. When running SPYBOT still getting tepms of about 50c with 5200rpm ont the fan. You reckont this is is ok for a dual core ont his board? I am only useing that standard white heatsink paste , UNICK. Do you know the name of the really good heatsink paste and does it make much of a difference on the temp ? Thanks Wayne.
Operating System System
Model Processor a
Display
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
n Circuit Board
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes heatsink paste can make a difference.

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Artic Silver is some of the best stuff.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thumbs up Re: A8N32-SLI DELUXE COOL'N'QUITE & QFan Problem

Thanks for the reply Mak. You got a rough idea how much a tube of this stuff costs in Aussie $ ? Whats your opinion on what is excessive heat for this amd 64 3800 dual core ? If you have the time to reply. Cheers mate.
Operating System System
Model Processor a
Display
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
n Circuit Board
Old 04-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

its about 10-15 bucks in the US. excessive heat? i would worry about anything over 60*C. using the thermal paste that makavelli suggests will knock a few degrees off by itself. try loading both cores to 100% and see what the temps are. that will give you a better indication of the actual temps it COULD reach than running spybot.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the info nagasama. Probably sell for over $20 here then. Did a test. Had running , ie , firefox, word , google earth, outlook, windows media 11, avgas, adaware and spybot. Last 3 actually scanning all at once. That used all cpu and max temp was 50-51 c. Will look for the thermal paste but in the meantime won't worry. Thanks again. Wayne.
Operating System System
Model Processor a
Display
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
n Circuit Board
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

no problem, glad we could help.
BTW those temps are just fine, especially if you get some paste and lower them a little but they are fine now.