9800 GX2 Fan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I've posted here before with questions about my nVidia 9800 GX2 graphics card.....but I don't think I've asked this question before :silly:

As most of you probably already know, the GX2 is two GPU's sandwiched into one case. To the best of my knowledge, though, there's just one fan in-between the two GPU's.

I could write to the company and ask this, but, sometimes I get quicker responses here.

I want to find out in which direction the fan inside blows. The graphics card has many vents on it; top, bottom, side, and the back. But the one I want to ask about is the top & bottom ones. First, take a look at this pic:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/GX2-Left.jpg

This picture is basically oriented in the position the card would be in when you push it into its PCI-e slot. At the top-left of the pic is where the screws would go.

But do you see where I put the red & blue arrows? Red "down" and blue "up"?

Does the fan that's in-between the two GPU's blow air downward toward the bottom of the case? Or, does it blow air upward toward the top of the case?

When I booted my computer up today (a cold boot from being off overnight), I took the side panel off my case and got a small piece of paper (Post-It size) and placed it on the top vents (where that blue arrow is in the pic). I wanted to see if the piece of paper got "pushed" off from the fan blowing that way, or, if it was "sucked" down from the fan pulling that way.

But nothing really happened.....not pushed or sucked. Perhaps it's because I had just started the computer and the GPU's hadn't built up any real heat yet. When idling, the fan blows at 45% speed according to EVGA precision.

So......does anybody know which way the wind blows......uhhh.....I mean which way the fan blows?

Thanks for any info,
Pez

Your red arrow is pointing in the wrong direction. The air in sucked into the fan and it exits out of the card (and case) in the back (where you attach your monitor cable).

Thanks for the reply, Slaymate.

My red arrow (I have such mad MS Paint skills.....): You say it's pointing in the wrong direction? What about the blue arrow? In the pic/ link I provided, you can't see it, but, there's another set of similar vents on top. Does air get "sucked in" from the top too?

And just to be clear.....are you saying that the only place that air exits the GX2 is at the back vents of the card where you attach the monitor cable?

Because there's also those side vents (those vents that would face the side panel of your case when the card is in its PCI-e slot).

Thanks for any more info.
Pez

I'd have to look at the whole card to know the exact design of your particular card. But most newer nvidia video cards work as I said. In fact I've had 2-7950GX2's, 2-8800GTX's, 3-9800GTX's and 3-GTX280's and the stock cooling was the same basic design on all of them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom