9800 GT Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

virus_1

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a Palit 9800GT, brand new, and i seem to be having 3D Graphic issues. My computer is running brand new 2gb x2 Silicon Power DDR2 Ram which i insterted along with my graphics card. Only 3gb is recognized (32bit xp). I have a 500w processor and a random motherboard from Acer. I have an x16 PCIE 1.0 bus, and a intel dual core 2.1 processor. Before my 9800GT, i had an ATI Radeon Saphire x1600 Pro, the fan died on me from what i believe was overheating, but i had constant issues with it regardless from the early use.

The first day of using the graphics card, everything was working perfectly, i played CoD 4 and Source games on maximum graphics with no issues. I turned my PC off, and overnight the graphics card started messing me around. I cant play CoD World at War at all as it crashes within minutes of playing, and when playing any other games, my screen will sometimes go black for a second and turn back on, once it stayed black untill i turned my screen off then back on. There is a noticable jumpyness occuring every few seconds. On my first day of using the graphics card, i could view Winamp Visualizations on full screen crystal clear, today i ran the visualizations on small screen and there is definitley some issues as it is very jumpy and sometimes unresponsive. I have been hinted that it may be a driver issue, but really am not sure. I uninstalled all my ATI graphic drivers, but not through the registry as i am uneasy about messing around with it. I have the latest Nvidia driver.

Maybe someone has had this problem before or a hardware buff can identify the problem. I read in the video card list that the 9800gt requires 600w minimum power, but i dont think this is the cause of the issue, and strongly believe it is a software issue. If anyone has an idea of how to fix this or could help me out and figuring the issue out, i would greatly appreciate it, if it is a hardware issue, i would like to fix it right away before i am stuck with the new hardware.

Thanks,
Ori.

Unfortunately I would lean toward a psu problem.
What brand psu do you have? sometimes if you have an underpowered psu but it is a good one you can be ok running less than recommended.

Take a look at this thread for completely cleaning out all remnants of the old ati driver. It has a link to reg cleaner if you do not want to make manual changes to the registry.
Guide to Uninstall ATI Drivers Completely! - Rage3D Discussion Area

If you can find a copy of driver cleaner pro it works well to but I believe it is paid software now.

I read in the video card list that the 9800gt requires 600w minimum power

I assure you that's incorrect, I have the same card brand and all. It does require 26A on the 12v rails. There might be a sticker on the side that tells you what the combined amp rating on the 12v rails is, if not e-mail your Power supply manufactuer (Thermaltake got back to me in less than an hour.) Don't just add the individual ratings of seperate rails.

There's a program called Driver Sweeper that deletes registry entries, I believe works with ATI.

I bought the cheapest PSU available, "Rock", 500w. I wouldnt be suprised at all if it was underperforming, never the less, the Nvidia site recommends a minimum of 400w, so it shouldnt be an issue

do what riappi suggested and look on the sticker on the psu to see the amps on the 12v rail.

I have personally never heard of amacrox.

I bought the cheapest PSU available, "Rock", 500w. I wouldnt be suprised at all if it was underperforming, never the less, the Nvidia site recommends a minimum of 400w, so it shouldnt be an issue
I don't know if it's the same ROCK power supply that you have but first few I saw on google had 12V1 rating of 11.0A and 12V2 13.0A. Just added together that's only 24A and the actual combined rating is most likely less.

Wattage is misleading and I really don't recommend cheaping out on power supplies.

Im not sure where im looking, under DC Output 500w: +12v2 = 18.0A (Yel/black) -12v = 0.5A (Blue)

I believe that would be 32 amps, so that should be plenty.

If W=AV that is. I can't remember.

And of course, as you said, it could be underperforming.

So could that be the real issue then? Underperforming PSU? I still have a hunch that its a software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom