8GB of RAM installed, OS and BIOS only recognizes 4GB! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentgrav

Beta member
Ok so a little background info. I am using a MSI X58 Platinum 1366 Socket MS-7522 MoBo. I have an Intel i7 920 Processor. 8 GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory.

I recently upgraded my computers memory, installed a new power supply , and installed a new liquid cooled CPU cooler by Corsair and moved all my components into a bigger and better Chassis. Before I did this upgrade I had 6GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 Triple Channel memory. And my Bios and Computer Recognized all 6GB of it.

After my upgrade and reinstallation of Windows my computer only recognizes 4GB of the 8GB I have seated. Now this is what I have done so far in order to fix it.

Reseated the RAM 5 Times.
Reinstalled the previous 6 GB of RAM (Still only 4GB was detected by the BIOS)
Checked my Resource Monitor and There is only 4GB total, none is reserved.
Attempted to update BIOS (No updates available)
Searched for "Memory Remapping" option in BIOS but could not find one
Removed all DIMM slots and Removed CPU and reseated the CPU
Checked Advanced Boot Features in MSCONFIG and no options were checked

I hit a wall, and can't find anything else on the internet that can help me figure this out. Can anyone help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Try trying each RAM stick by themselves, and see if they will boot up. That would tell us if all the RAM is good.

Next, try using one stick of RAM, checking each slot. This verifies that you do/not have a bad slot.

Ok Wow. So Turns out DIMM Slot 3 doesn't work I guess. I put it in DIMM Slot 5 and sure enough I have 8GB of RAM now. But my question is this. My Motherboard guide says that for Dual Channel Configuration I have to put the Sticks in DIMM 1 & 3 and for triple channel I have to use 1, 3, and 5. Will setting up dual channel configuration in 1 and 5 hurt anything? Do I have any disadvantage doing it this way?

IMO, dual/triple channel doesn't really do a whole lot. I have 3 x 2GB on my system. It has 4 slots, but doesn't like it when all 4 are full. :wtf: And it works just fine.

Sure, It mattered in the 1-2GB days, but Now with 8GB+, I don't think you get a large performance boost. Just my thoughts. Not sure if it is 100% true.

I would run 6GB or 12GB. Running at 8GB is downgrading your performance to what a i5 750 would be if it had Hyper-Threading. More is not always better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom