8800 Not Overheating, what's up?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have an ASUS 8800GTS G80. Not overclocked.

While playing Star Craft 2, it freezes the screen and a few seconds later crashes the program, giving me a window to report it to SC2. This is the full version, no beta.

At first I thought, maybe an overheating. I look at HWmonitor. It's a cool 80C. I do have a 3rd part cooler on it.

So then I thought maybe the graphics were too high. I turned it down to medium. No change.

Is my card crapping out? It has worked fine for a month now. All the sudden it hiccups?

I don't claim to know a lot about computers, but my guess would be not the GPU.

The times he crashed in SC2 were during Multiplayer games, which is one of the times the game is the least graphically demanding (the single player is a graphical beast). Also while his GPU is outdated I took the liberty of googling how the game is running on older GPU's than his, and it seems to be fine.

Sadly, I don't know what the issue could be other than possibly drivers, but I'd check other components before assuming GPU. Trying to run a different game and seeing how it performs could also help with diagnosis. It could be something as simple as a corrupted install file for the game.

Also, MoM... How are you running DX11 when the link I read about your GPU says it's only 10 compatible? Just wondering.

SC2 rules, everyone needs to go buy it now and get to Diamond League to play me :)

My thought was drivers as well. Try uninstalling your current drivers (including using Driver Sweeper) and then install the latest drivers for the card. If all else fails check out Omega Drivers.

You know, this is strange... It doesn't lock up anymore... What the h*** is going on?! I played 2 multiplayer games, no glitch..

Edit:

I do have 1/11/2010 drivers. Latest is 7/19/2010. I'll try that out.

It could be server side and wasn't your PC at all. It's just a possibility, I'd still do some poking around.

The only reason I suggest this as last night when you IM'd me about crashing I had also been experiencing a lot of in-game lag. Nothing to the extent of a crash, but more lag than usual for me and my PC is well over the recommended specs.

We should all be well over the recommended specs. :p

I installed the latest drivers, using DriverSweeper. We'll see how this works.

I have had lags before. They weren't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom