8600 Gt Ftl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
sent my 8800gt in for step up yesterday and went to sucker city to buy a temporary replacement.
got an 8600gt, which i figured would be okay since in our rankings it was above a 7900gs, which served me for so long, so well.
what a tiny little card.
also, no supplemental power (booooooo!).
my PSU has plenty of amperage to handle it but....
i put it in, fired everything up. worked okay for a minute, when i went in to re-install the drivers, it went to switch resolution and then...black screen.
i was getting a 7f error code on my mobo, which apparently could be anything from a bad stick of memory to a bowl of chicken noodle soup (useless troubleshooting codes lol). this was at about eight o'clock when i installed it, and tried to get it to work until about 9:15. my local CC store closes at 10 o'clock, so i gathered up the wife and rushed down there to make an exchange.
i got an 8800gts 320mb instead, adn assured the salespeople that if a defective card (the 8600) had shorted out my entire computer (which seemed to be the case, especially after a couple beers ha ha) that i would be back up there with an ak-47 to exact my vengeance. idiots.
the 8800gts 320 works fine, lol.
i will be returning it when i get my g92 from ups, hopefully around march 4th. :)

i figured i might as well get a better card for a little more money. i paid enough for my 8800gt that it wasn't that much. and my step up would expire before the good 9 series are released.
i would have considered getting another 8800gt for SLI, but my cpu chokes them down too much (i've run two at once before) and i only have a 22" monitor.
so, i got the best single-card that i could. my cpu wont bottleneck a g92 as long as i have it oc'd this high, i dont think.

so you are using an 8800gts 320mb ATM right?

you should benchmark, and record the difference between it and you 8800gt

so you are using an 8800gts 320mb ATM right?

you should benchmark, and record the difference between it and you 8800gt

Already have xD. My old card was a GTS 320, and it should still be in the 3DMark list. About a 1.5k increase :D.

so you wouldn't be selling that 8800gts by any chance when your step card comes in?

no im going to return it to circuit city for a full refund lol..."it just doesn't have the cajones i need..." lmao.
i have 14 days to return it, so my step up should be here well before then.
ok i ran 3dmark 06 and scored (like carnage said) about 1500 points lower.
pfffft.

you should have gotten the 8800gs, and then we could compare the 8800gts g80 320mb to the 8800gs and the 8800gt

btw I'm getting my dad to buy an 8800gs (that XFX Alpha Dog edition on Newegg)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom