7950GX2 crashing my comp :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying-Squirrel

In Runtime
Hey all,

Hopefully someone here will have some helpful info. I have the rig that is in my sig, just finished puttin in the CPU, PSU, and Vidcard.

I have dual monitors. Everything works perfectly with windows expanding onto my second monitor utilizing a 2nd video card that I have specifically for that purpose (7300GS or something). So I have my 7950GX2 powering my main monitor and my 7300GS powering my 2nd monitor.

I can play counter-strike 1.6 perfectly fine if I have my 2nd monitor disabled, but if I try to open it with both monitors enabled, it jumps to a BSOD and restarts my computer.

Is there anything I can do? I Don't want to have to disable one of my monitors every time I want to play games. I believe it probably has something to do with the 7950 being SLI with its 2 builtin cards. Is there some patch or anything?

Pls help. Thanks.

Have you tryed hooking both monitors to the 7950? That would be a much better set up then using two video cards, Not to mention it would be much more economical to only have one card. I would take the other video card out and try that first. Nvidia's dual monitor support for a single card works very good.

I had tried that with my old 7800gtx and didn't like my performance. I will give it a try though and see if it stops the crashing.

I just found this:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nvidia-gf7950gx2_30.html
"Another drawback of the new GeForce 7950 GX2 is not a significant one but may cause nasty problems to some users. I am talking about multi-monitor configurations support. Since Nvidia SLI technology (like ATI CrossFire) supports only one display in case both GPUs are involved, the owners of multi-monitor configurations will have to switch from multi-GPU mode to multi-monitor mode every time they finish playing games and vice versa. Of course, if you often switch between games and any other work that requires multi-monitor support, this may become a very annoying issue for you."

So that would seem to explain my issue...... except that I am using a 2nd video card to run my 2nd monitor. I was hoping this would allow me to use dual gpu for my main monitor and whatever game and the 2nd vidcard to power my 2nd monitor. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom