7900 Gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeKarma

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but I have the Asus 900 case and for those of you who don't know its the one with 4 fans and one of them is the giant 120mm however my 7900GT idles at like 55 but when under load such as CS:Source it hits 100-106. My room temp is about 85. Is this normal? or is something gone wrong I checked to see if the fan was not obstructed cleaned for dust. If it's just my room temp doing it i'll just go out and buy one of those PCI fans to blast on the back of it

I own the same card (7900GT from EVGA). Mine idles at 47c in my Antec P180B. I assume your card temps are in C, and your room temp is in F. 100C is high for a video card at load. How is your airflow in your case? I noticed that you have your CPU overclocked. I am in a very similar situation. I have the Asus P5B-D with E6400 (@3.4GHz), my P180B only has two case fans on low. At load my 7900 only reaches 64c. The link I provided is a HDR Stress Test that does a great job at loading your GPU. I would suggest you run that, and watch your temps through nvidia's monitor.

Something doesnt seem right that you are getting idle temps around normal and load temps sky high. If you have poor circulation with high mobo temps, I could understand GPU temps in the 70s-80s, but not over 100c. Have you fiddled with the GPU cooler at all, or tried to OC it?

If the temps are still a problem you could buy a Thermalright HR-03 to cool your card. I just ordered one. I cant stand the noise from my GPU fan, its the loudest thing in my case, and I cant wait to get rid of the thing.

Is your whole system running hot, or just your video card? What are the rest of your temps?

Heres the HDR Stress Test:

rthdribl - Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting 1.2 -

My system is running at 33C my HD at 28C and my CPU at 34C it just doesn't add up to my video cards heat and no I haven't tried OCing it at all

I think I just found the problem in under a minute with HDR I was hitting 90C on the card, And the fan stays at the same when its idle 675 RPM. How would I go about changing that

You can use riva tuner to adjust fan speed levels for your video card.

I have tried using riva tuner for my 7900gt, but there seems to be something wrong with my video card. It likes to spin up the fan when I play a video file, or browse through windows explorer, and even run FF. These are all low power 2D apps, theres no need for the fan to spin up to 75% on these apps. When it does spin up the temps dont even drop from 47c. I think there is something wrong with how these cards are wired into the nvidia software. This is why I have ordered the Thermalright HR-03, so I can cool my video card with out a fan on it at all.

Alright I got rivatuner and in the fan settings it has all three at 100% and still heats up to about 90-100C in less than 2 minutes and in the nvidia panel if i'm following this right it says the nForce fan which I believe is the card is still 675

I can't seem to find a solution, I'm just going to buy a new heatsink and fan for the card even though the stock one seems pretty nice, And a PCI fan to blast on the back of it. Thanks for the help though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom