780ti not all that great? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default 780ti not all that great?

Okay I'm not sure if this is the section where this belongs, if it isn't I'm sorry.

I just recently bought an Asus 780ti DC2O, and I have to say that I'm underwhelmed when it comes to games. Most games I play I have to put the graphics quality below ultra, and dumb down the rest of the settings just to barely reach 60fps. I had a 660ti DC2O and I can't even tell the difference between them TBH, maybe I just got a ****ty card with this 780 and my 660 was a decent one? I don't know.

My question is am I the only one experiencing this or is the 780ti kind of lackluster? I just bought 3 new games yesterday (AC: Black Flag, Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein) and every one of them run like crap unless the settings are medium/high and IMO that shouldn't be the case.

Thanks for any replies, I appreciate it =)

Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600Mhz
Asus 780ti DC2O
Seagate Barracuda 2TB and San Disk Extreme 120gb
Corsair CX 750M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dalinkwent726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: 780ti not all that great?

Well few things. What resolution are you playing at? Did you do a clean install of the latest beta drivers? And are you making sure all background tasks are closed?

Both Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein really require more than 3GB of VRAM to completely max out at 1080p. For Wolfenstein reduce shadows to 4k and you should pump out way over 60fps easy.

Watch Dogs you will have to be using the latest beta drivers for best performance and I explain a lot of performance details in this thread.
Watch Dogs

The 780ti is more than 2 660ti cards put together in one chip while also having a lot more memory bandwidth. The problem is the 3 games you're trying to run have their own issues in performance. Also if you're running a resolution above 1080p it makes this issue worse.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well few things. What resolution are you playing at? Did you do a clean install of the latest beta drivers? And are you making sure all background tasks are closed?

Both Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein really require more than 3GB of VRAM to completely max out at 1080p. For Wolfenstein reduce shadows to 4k and you should pump out way over 60fps easy.

Watch Dogs you will have to be using the latest beta drivers for best performance and I explain a lot of performance details in this thread.
Watch Dogs

The 780ti is more than 2 660ti cards put together in one chip while also having a lot more memory bandwidth. The problem is the 3 games you're trying to run have their own issues in performance. Also if you're running a resolution above 1080p it makes this issue worse.
Okay so I checked out the link you posted, downloaded the newest drivers, actually got around to overclocking my card, and dropped my settings down to high for most and Watch Dogs hasn't stuttered much at all. It crashed once but that's it. Wolfenstein is running smooth as well after a few tweaks and my next project will be Black Flag, so wish me luck on that.

On another note I saw that Watch Dogs PC is getting a patch soon, so maybe I'd be able to get some better performance after that releases.

Thanks for the reply and I'd leave you a thanks but I "have to spread it around" =)
Asus 780ti DC2O
Corsair CX 750M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Watch Dogs already had a day 1 patch that you should already be running. The only thing I see future patches fixing is stuttering at night caused by heavy shadows and the shadow flickering. I believe this all to be caused by their updated HBAO tech.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

My buddy runs black flag on his 770 max with no issues at 1080. I don't why u would have an issue with a 780ti
AsRock z97x,i5 4690k@ 4.4ghz, Custom Water Loop, Nvidia 980TI 6GB, Corsair Dominators Platinum 16GB 2666mhz ,250 SSD,2TB,2TB Drive ,EVGA Supernova 750G2 PSU,NZXT H440 white. Asus 24" 144hz, LG 42" led lcd.
Drogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

I haven't tried playing Black Flag since I had the 580. I should probably try it soon on the new card.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogos View Post
My buddy runs black flag on his 770 max with no issues at 1080. I don't why u would have an issue with a 780ti
Quote:
I haven't tried playing Black Flag since I had the 580. I should probably try it soon on the new card.
I'm pretty sure Black flag was a Vsync problem. I was getting horrible screen tearing so I put on Vsync, then the frames dropped to 30FPS. I've just learned to "deal" with the tearing, though it is making me not want to play the game at all.
Asus 780ti DC2O
Corsair CX 750M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Watch Dogs already had a day 1 patch that you should already be running. The only thing I see future patches fixing is stuttering at night caused by heavy shadows and the shadow flickering. I believe this all to be caused by their updated HBAO tech.

Are you talking about this?
Ubisoft Working On PC Patch For Watch Dogs, Offers Advice To Boost Performance - Forbes

I thought this was a patch they were working on that hadn't been released yet.
Asus 780ti DC2O
Corsair CX 750M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalinkwent726 View Post
I'm pretty sure Black flag was a Vsync problem. I was getting horrible screen tearing so I put on Vsync, then the frames dropped to 30FPS. I've just learned to "deal" with the tearing, though it is making me not want to play the game at all.
Use adaptive Vsync found in the NVCP. Might fix your issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalinkwent726 View Post
Are you talking about this?
Ubisoft Working On PC Patch For Watch Dogs, Offers Advice To Boost Performance - Forbes

I thought this was a patch they were working on that hadn't been released yet.
Day 1 patch was released on day 1. The bigger patch to fix other issues like shadows is coming at a later date.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Use adaptive Vsync found in the NVCP. Might fix your issues.

Day 1 patch was released on day 1. The bigger patch to fix other issues like shadows is coming at a later date.
Thanks I'll give adaptive a try.

Asus 780ti DC2O
Corsair CX 750M
Windows 7 Home Premium