7800GS AGP card crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the confusion, I got the Antec one and what I meant to say is that the wattage is lower on the new one you suggested than the 460W on the original one. I am not sure what difference it makes but in any case it did not resolve the issue. To answer the other question, the fan on the card is spinning and I do not know what the temp is/should be. Do I look in the BIOS for this info? Also I am not sure what you mean by what else I have on the rail? If you mean how many on items are on the same cable going into the PSU then it is just the floppy and the C drive. Also, I do not have another PC with an AGP slot to try this card in. Help.

on psus the amper rating is what counts not the wattage their likely much higher then your old psu, and keep in mind the amper rating on cheap psus is far from accurate , anyway even if the psu wasnt the issue it was still worth it as it will never fry any other parts if it will fail , a thing that alot of cheap psus do

anyway what MrCoffee & me were tryin to tell you several times is that theres a power connector on the card
xfx7800gs7if.png

and for stability you gotta have a power plug connected to it
molex.jpg

Guys,
I have the power connecter on the card connected. It is also connected via the C drive and the floppy. I have another hdd but I have not connected it back on the same cable yet as I thought it might be using too much power or something. I did a RAM test yesterday that took hours using memtest and it checks out OK. I doubt it is the card but I could get the place I bought it from to send me another if you think it might come from there. I need to point out that I had a Radeon 9600 that would work with Doom3 BF2 etc but then it would eventually crash. I thought this new card would solve this issue but now I cannot even get the thing to install without the PC rebooting. I looked in the BIOS for temps but could only see CPU temp 33/91 and MB temp of 28/82 but I guess these cannot reflect how hot they get when they are being strained. Any further ideas? Thanks for your help.

Tried using the utility and it removed everything that was left. Regrettably, it did the same reboot upon installation of drivers. Next please.......... :-(

is the card power source shared with another device via a splitter,like this?
ysplitter.jpg
if it is thats not good ,its best to connect the power plug standalone with no other device..

have a look on the mobo (perferably with a flashlight) and check for bad capacitors , see examples
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm

if the cards power source isnt shared with another device & theres no bad capacitors on the mobo then it might be a driver issue , are you using the latest (84.21) ?

HAPPY DAYS! At last I have managed to get this card to work with the drivers. I updated the BIOS on the motherboard! It was only done 6 months ago!!!! WHo would have thought that it would be THAT simple. Anyway I hope that nayone else who might experience this problem might do the same and resolve their problems in a similar manner. Many thanks for all your help and suggestions
Dermot

if its a BFG i recommend contacting them and sending it back
that is unless you havnt plugged in the power connector and such
BFG is just so easy to deal with

i got a broke 6600gt and they sent me a new one back FIRST and it ended up being a 6800gt!!

awesome guys there at work

i should also say that they could help trouble shoot you too... i didnt know jack when i called and they explained a lot to me

well here is my problem, i tried to install a ati 9800 pro. i first uninstalled my old drivers like the book says and then i installed the card. there is a power plug on the end of the card agp. when i plug in that power plug in to the back of the card and turn on the computer the monitor do not come on at all. but when i dont plug the power plug in the card the monitor comes on with no problem. the book says i need to plug that power plug in but i wouldnt work so i didnt plug it in. I turned on the computer and the monitor came on i installed the drivers and all is good , very good picture then all of a sudden the drivers stop working so i restarted the computer and now the computer keeps restarting after getting to the xp splash screen, over and over and over never making it past the splash screen, i tried to restart in safe mode but it just keep restarting over and over again. i took out the ati card and put back the old card and still the same thing, i have no boot disk or xp disk what can i do, what is the problem mates?

system asus mother board
512 memory
pent 4
os xp
power suppy 350w

I just brought a 500w power suppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom