7800 GS doesn't work >:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming<>demon

In Runtime
I bought my XFX 7800 GS (AGP) yesterday, and I installed it today, and it doesn't work!!!! $509 later, and it doesn't work!!! except it makes a really bad "ticking" or "clicking" sound nearly all of the time my pc is on... It gets even louder and worse when playing a low 3D game (Red Faction) and it plays REALLY choppy. I ran a 3Dmark06, I didn't complete it coz it was running 4fps most of the time :/
*I did uninstall the old drivers
*I did connect the power lead to the card
*I installed latest drivers for it (84.21)
*I bought a new power supply (500 watt Topower 12v - 28A )
*my cpu is a 3700+ AMD

Ive read this problem with this card before, on another site, but I didn't think it would happen to me... The verdict in that resolution was the card = faulty... is this common??? MAN im peed off .

Sounds like the card is faulty. Send it back and get another one. Before you do that can you try it in a different machine? Atleast then you'll know if it is the card or your machine. The psu is powerful enough to run that card so personally I think it's the card.

Cant try on another machine :/ but I spoke to a few people already, and the vote is the card is a jones collin special. so i took it back to gamedude. said they will be testing it, and most likely replacing it - I hope they dont try to trick me and say " theres nothing wrong with your card" ... anyway, we wait and see...

Matt2m:
Thats the exact card I just bought from newegg. It will be here next week sometime.

I'm hoping it will be an improvement over my GF 4000mx.

I have a 680W PSU, but my +12V is only 22A. Is that going to get the job done?

If it was making a noise, I would suspect the fan, as it is the only moving part on the card... Did you make sure that nothing was brushing up against the fan??

:) yea I checked that there was nothing touching the fan... it was frustrating the heck outta me.. the card is still at gamedude - for testing.. .hopefully I will hear from them soon and get a new card .. hopefully...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom