6600GT Gaming Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you need to check your +12v line during load....since you won't be able to run games obviously then try running prime95 and see if your +12v voltages start to drop down.

If you see your +12v rail hitting down at like 11.6v or lower just from running prime95, then you can pretty much assume during heavy gaming when RAM, CPU, and the video card are pulling lots of juice that it's going below that 11.6 and causing the reboots.

To the person who asked earlier...no the 6600GT's don't suck...I had an evga 6600GT before I got this 6800GT and it was a great card...I simply got greedy and wanted MORE POWA :p

No matter the company theres always a chance of accidentally getting a bunk card...can't be avoided.

You've only got a few more options that most of us can think of before you should probably RMA it...if the RMA'd one does the same thing, then theres something going on with another piece of hardware obviously.

I have an MSI 6600GT PCIe card and I do not have it plugged in via a power cable. Should I have it plugged in and will it give better performance if I do?

Yes it will but it will consume more power.

Nubius, I just started it up where it ran to check if my computer was configured properly or something. Went to go eat, came back, and it was stuck at the Windows XP loading screen. Is it my PSU?

I have also noticed that my MSI 6600GT does not have this power connector. I have looked at the manual and the card itself and I do not see it. Is there a power connect on the PCIex16 version of the MSI 6600GT or for that matter any PCIe 6600GT?

I believe some PCI-E cards have a power connector, but if yours doesn't have one then don't worry about it.

Nubius, I just started it up where it ran to check if my computer was configured properly or something. Went to go eat, came back, and it was stuck at the Windows XP loading screen. Is it my PSU?
Hmm...when was the last time you formatted your computer?

You haven't like swapped out motherboards or gone from ati or nvidia or something like that but kept using the same HD right?

Generally though when it comes to a freeze like that I'd think it's the CPU or RAM, but you said you already checked the RAM....did you let memtest86+ run for 2-3 hours when you checked the RAM?

Try running prime95 for 6-12 hours and see if it passes...generally when overclocking I say let it run for ATLEAST 12 hours, so that might be good just to make sure the CPU isn't acting weird in this scenario, but at the very least if you don't want to run your comp for 12 hours then try 6 hours...if it doesn't pass the prime95 large in place FFT's test then your CPU isn't stable...

I believe you said you weren't overclocking, but at this point I'm just trying to find out the weak component in your system.

Also you never said if you checked your +12v line during full load using something like prime95 to see if it's voltages dropped.

Nubius, I have no idea how to. I told you I started up Prime95, it was configuring something, it said it would take about an hour. I left to eat, came back, and I guess it had re-booted itself and went to the XP loading screen then froze.

Btw, why would my stock CPU freeze? It is at stock with the fan RPM around 3300 and 32C idle?

ahh sorry, I didn't know what you had meant when you said "I left it to configure properly" I wasn't sure if you were talking about prime95 or what.

You should start up prime95 and watch it this time, not the whole 6 hours of course, just watch the first 5 minutes to see what the voltages are at...you need a program like motherboard monitor 5 or speedfan (personally I don't trust speedfan all that much for accurate reporting) and use those programs to see what your voltages hit.

If your computer is being reset from you starting up prime95 then it definitely wouldn't be your graphics card being the problem here.

Do you have another more powerful PSU, or would you be willing to take the PSU out of your current system to test your other? That way you'd find out real quick if it's the PSU or not although I realize it'd be a pain to swap it out

I think I can help. Go to control panel, then performance and maintinence, then system, then advanced, then startup and recovery, then go down and uncheck reboot automatically under system faliure. Now, this won't help the problem, but it will probably tell us what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom