6600GT Gaming Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Ok, well I just did this build. Whenever I play a game, it will just reboot. It only happens when I play games, never any other time. I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

It has done it on HL2 and BF2 so far, why would it do that?

Overheating?

BTW, I am confused on this new build. Is this replacing what is in your sig? Is this for a second rig? Is this for someone else?

I was thinking more towards CPU overheating actually, but monitor the temps on both and see what they are hitting under load.

Ok well CPU idle is 37C, and under load it is around 44C. So it can't be that. I know that the VGA card temps are 49C idle, seems high to me. Dunno what it is under load. But I have 4 case fans, CPU fan, and VGA fan, how could it still overheat?

The 49 idle for the gfx card is good, no worries there. The only thing I can think of is then is a crappy PSU. What kind do you have?

OK this is almost definitely a PSU problem. I had the same issue when I got my 6600GT. It is because when it goes from 2D to 3D mode it draws more power and the PSU cannot handle it. I got a new PSU and it fixed the problem.

first things that come to mind with reboots is either a PSU like idiotec said or perhaps the RAM just not wanting to take the strain of gaming.

Try some different RAM, run memtest86+ on the current sticks of RAM for a few hours letting the tests loop to insure everything is ok there...

make sure your voltages for the PSU are correct.

Also...with the 4pin molex that gets plugged into the 6600GT you're making sure that line isn't also plugged into a hard drive right?

These cards for best operation pretty much need their own line and you shouldn't put it on with anything else taking the juice...just a thought.

You can use Rivatuner BTW to check your load temps for the card...just load up the 'hardware monitor' ...but ehhh I guess if games cause reboots you can't get it to even give the load temp eh....how about things like 3dmark, do they run?

Well I have a $40 Antec 400W PSU, and it does the job. The line isn't shared by anything else, and I haven't tried 3DMark yet. If it is the PSU, I can't afford to get a new one right now...

Well now it doesn't reboot, it just freezes, but the computer still runs. So then I have to press and hold to turn it off...grr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom