60mm case fan to a 60mm psu fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin2021

Beta member
in my dell 4600C the psu fan just gave out, and i was wondering if it was possible to turn a case fan into a psu fan. I'm guessing it would be, but just making sure..

it is, I've done it before.

You just have to cut the wires from both, connect the cords (color to color).. then put some electricle tape around it.

Thats how I did it anyway, might seem a bit dodgy but it did the job.

you need to replace the PSU right away with a dead fan a PSU is an extreme fire hazard DO NOT USE IT untill you replace that PSU this is not a situation to take lightly. your lucky it hasnt caught fire yet.

I steal the fans out of old PSU's. I have like 4 80mm fans, and a couple 92mm fans, and one 120mm fan kickin around. lol

yeah, i thought it might not be a good thing so i stopped using that computer and am currently using a different one. well, i'll be sure to find a fan somewhere right away before using that computer. thx a lot.

I Strongly recommend you do not attempt to repair the PSU yourself, even if its just a failed Fan.
PSUs contain large capacitors and there is a danger of death if you open up a PSU and are not qualified to do so.

yep, but if you do decide to.. its reccomended to leave the psu without power for 24-48hours to fully drain any electricity left inside it. I've repaired afue psu's, each one runs as good as it did with the original fan, but then again I was taught by someone who is qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom