Is 54C normal for an X2 4200? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch
Default Is 54C normal for an X2 4200?

My PC shut off by itself earlier today and so I thought that it might be a good idea to clean the inside of it (eh? yeah?)

So i did so, and then ran Speedfan and Coretemp to check my temps and they both read about 49-58C for my temps.

It's about 90F in my house right now because I have no AC and for the ambient temperture, I was just wondering if temps in the 50's was pretty normal?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Is 54C normal for an X2 4200?

58C is running somewhat hot. Are you overclocking or? The 90 degree heat Isn't helping things I'm sure. Best to keep it under 52 or so.. After that you can run into problems with hanging, freezing up, etc. Is your case well ventilated? Have a good CPU fan?

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Is that the temps for idle? If so I don't think that is normal. I have a X2 4200+ overclocked and it idles at around 38c on stock heatsink and fan. Try re-applying the heatsink and put on some new thermal paste.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

thats fine temps for that. don't let it get above 60 though. and yeah reapply thermal paste and try and keep it off as much as you can.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread