50 gig transfer time = 11 hours. External HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My buddy got a nasty virus, so bad he just said eff it and reinstalled XP. I gave him my external hard drive to put his music and pictures on. A total of 50 gb worth of information. He started transferring it at 11pm. He woke up at 10am and it still had 109 minutes to go till it was done transferring.

He reinstalled XP, connected the external HDD again, and once again... took forever to transfer back. It's a USB 2.0 external HDD, 80gb IDE 7200 RPM Western Digital drive.

I'm hoping the virus didn't somehow transfer to the external HDD, cause otherwise he's back at square one. But I'm not sure how likely that would be. It seemed like the virus focused on network connectivity issues and re-routing search results in google to other bogus advertisements, along with preventing his anti virus/spyware program to update. (It kicked the anti virus update server's IP to his loopback IP).

Any ideas?

Hello,

Did he install the chipset drivers to get full advantage of the USB Ports and their speed?

Cheers,
Mak

Kindly give the model number of your external hard drive. Can calculate how long would it take to transfer the whole stuff in ideal situation. Regarding the virus hmm.....I would disconnect the hard drive and connect it to another ones secondary and run a virus scan first from there.

Sam

Highland.

No. They setup will install a basic set of drivers for the chipset. But the ones you get form the device manufacturer's website are designed for the mobo and OS to work in conjunction much better. For the last couple of years (Very rough estimate) the chipset drivers are also bundled with the USB Drivers for the mobo.

All you do to install them is download the appropriate set from the manufacturer's page.

Cheers,
Mak

What are the specs of the PC? Maybe it's just a slow PC. I copied about 80 GB of music for a friend onto my laptop from an external HD and it took forever to do. But my lappy is rather slow at 1.1GB processor and 512 RAM running Win2K.

Kindly give the model number of your external hard drive. Can calculate how long would it take to transfer the whole stuff in ideal situation. Regarding the virus hmm.....I would disconnect the hard drive and connect it to another ones secondary and run a virus scan first from there.

Sam

It's a WD IDE 80gb 7200RPM 8mb cache drive. It's a typical hard drive. I use it all the time. It takes me about an hour to transfer 75gb off of it... he was transferring 50 gig at such a high rate of time.

Perhaps he didn't install the chipset driver. I didn't think to ask.

Something is forcing the USB 2.0 drive to run at USB 1.1 transfer rates. If it's not the driver, it could be a bios setting or a bad cable. It it's an older computer, it may only have USB 1.1 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom