5 sec is all you get

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it does this within 5 seconds, the boot process hasn't had time to come close to completing POST and hitting the hard drive. So I don't see how it could the drive as looking for an OS is way into the boot process. I would suspect RAM, or the CPU, or the graphics (since loading basic - VGA- graphics is done early too) . Try one stick of RAM at a time.

However, if you normally heard a single beep (which typically signals a successful POST) and now you hear no beeps to indicate a RAM, CPU or graphics failure, that could also indicate a motherboard issue. So with that, I agree also with the repeated suggestions above to reset the BIOS.

tried resetting the bios again and nothing, took the ram sticks out and tried each one in each slot and nothing, tried booting with no ram at all in and it still did the same thing

Sounds like the motherboard is toast if you get nothing, as you will ALWAYS get a typical memory beep code when all sticks are pulled. Have you tried only the bare essentials, minus RAM? (Motherboard, CPU/fan and that is all)

you will ALWAYS get a typical memory beep code when all sticks are pulled
IF there's a speaker. We do not know any hardware specs to know if there is an integrated motherboard speaker, or an attached case speaker. All we know is there have never been any beeps heard.

So we need some system specs.

Haven't seen a stock pc not have a speaker integrated into the motherboard, or plugged into it somewhere yet. 90% chance OP is working on a typical walmart/store bought PC. Even if not, most aftermarket cases contain a speaker and who ever is building the machine will most the time be smart enough to hook the speaker up.

My point still stands, the motherboard should be throwing error codes, if you wanna tell me all of a sudden that we all of a sudden must know his specs, when you didn't ask in your first post in this thread, just to know about a speaker, after you already made a comment about a speaker...
However, if you normally heard a single beep (which typically signals a successful POST) and now you hear no beeps to indicate a RAM, CPU or graphics failure, that could also indicate a motherboard issue. So with that, I agree also with the repeated suggestions above to reset the BIOS.

Haven't seen a stock pc not have a speaker integrated into the motherboard, or plugged into it somewhere yet.
Then I am afraid you have had limited exposure to a variety of boards as there are many. A quick look at the manuals for first 3 budget boards (as typically found in Walmart systems) at Newegg and you will note the instructions say to connect the "chassis speaker" to the motherboard.

In the early days, all cases came with speakers and that is why, still today, the front IO panel header on motherboards still have a speaker connection (many even if equipped with an integrated speaker) as early motherboards never had a speaker - there was just not enough room on the board because the integrated devices where still quite large.

Today, many motherboards do have a "button" piezoelectric speaker, but not all - yet. Integrated speakers cost money, and budget board makers always look for ways to save a couple pennies wherever they can. And again, since many, but not all motherboard have a speaker, and contrary to your statement most newer cases no longer come with them.

• Since not all motherboards have speakers,
  • Since not all cases have speakers,
  • Since the OP has not specified system specs for us to verify,
  • Since, thus far, there has never been any beeps,
Therefore I stand by what I said, if the system has a system speaker, we should hear beeps.

My point still stands, the motherboard should be throwing error codes
Yes. But my point is, if no speaker, you are not going to hear them.

well i tried a diff hdd in it and still nothing so I'm assuming its the mobo since its the only thing left aside from the graphics but thats an onboard dealeo lol. as far as "speakers" go I don't think that it has anything in the case but it was hooked up to a set before I got my hands on it, they didn't tell me it was making any sounds and I don't recall it doing anything before I took it

Note this would be an internal speaker so the beep would come from inside the computer case. System beeps never come from "regular" computer speakers because the drivers for the sound card (or integrated audio) are not installed until the boot drive is hit, and that is after POST.

Haven't seen a stock pc not have a speaker integrated into the motherboard, or plugged into it somewhere yet. 90% chance OP is working on a typical walmart/store bought PC. Even if not, most aftermarket cases contain a speaker and who ever is building the machine will most the time be smart enough to hook the speaker up

I've seen dozens of PC's that didn't have a system speaker and I've only seen a few aftermarket cases that came with a speaker. And I've seen a lot of cheap mobo's that fail to have a speaker built-in.

I want to know the system spec's also. And I'm wondering what power supply was used as a substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom