4890 tempurature sensor problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default 4890 tempurature sensor problems

So, I bought a 4890 off of new egg and when I installed it and the drivers, the fan speed never went down and the catylist control center never showed a tempurature change. The card runs games wonderfully however. A friend of mine told me that the tempurature sensor and fan speed control are broken on the card. I don't know much about such things and was wondering if there is a way to fix this?

I was thinking about replacing the cooler on the card, but if I replace the stock cooler with a new one, will this replace the temp sensor, or is that built into the card? My month return on newegg is over and I'm just hoping I haven't been stuck with a forever broken $200.00 card. . .

Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: 4890 tempurature sensor problems

You can use other programs like GPU-Z to check out the temperature and fan speed. Or Rivatuner to adjust fan speed. There's also Hardware Monitor that monitors most of your system's temperature.

I never really depended on CCC for fan speed control or temperature monitoring. Didn't work for me on my ATi cards. Most people just use 3rd party software.

Replacing the cooler on the card does not replace the temperature sensor. I believe it's built into the GPU. But it will keep your card nice and cool though.

techPowerUp! :: Downloads - GPU-Z
CPUID - Hardware Monitor
RivaTuner v2.24c download from Guru3D.com

Closed Thread