4870 RAM scrub after long sleep? Board does it too. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Papa Chester

Send a message via MSN to Antec-User
Default 4870 RAM scrub after long sleep? Board does it too.

Maybe it's this darn driver. (got a newer one from AMD) This thing seems to do a RAM scrub or loss of memory after the computer has been on standby for a day or so.. I'll get "Out of Range" on my secondary monitor and if I restart it's fine..

My board also seems to do some kind of RAM scrub after sitting for a day or so on standby.. The lights are on, but nobody's home.... -Literally.. The rig seems to come to life but it doesn't do anything and my monitors won't wake up.. no screen saver, no display.. I'll have to restart to get it back to normal.. -THat happened after three days on standby..

The scrub isn't enabled in my BIOS.

<---- If You enjoyed my ramblings, or if I've helped you, Check me... :D
Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: 4870 RAM scrub after long sleep? Board does it too.

If I was leaving a system unattended for 3 days I would simply shut it down unless needed as a host pc for a dsl hub or server setup requiring the system to be on 24/7. With any line of cards you can expect that the original drivers on the disk when the cards first come out as well as seeing the same Catalyst version at the support site tend to be a little shaky.

With the HD 2600XT I ran into that with the Cat. 7.9 where AMD later released a patch for a problem version. The 7.10 but better 7.11 was worth the wait however. Quite a few people run into problems when Windows wakes up out of standby or hibernation but forgets to shake and stir device drivers like those for video. They remain inactive until you reboot.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Papa Chester

Send a message via MSN to Antec-User

This is a newer driver for the card.. Upgraded from the CD supplied driver which is who knows how old..

<---- If You enjoyed my ramblings, or if I've helped you, Check me... :D
Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

You might end up having to move back one version if the latest is seeing a problem since that is newer then seen on the original disk. I've run into that a few times where the latest is the problem usually being too new for an older model however.

Ramscrub itself is in the same catagory as memtest or tarball being a memory tester. The newer catalysts are likely now seeing that added in them over the cats for the older series of cards like not seeing that with the 2600 here or with a 3870 but now seen with the 4xxxx models.

http://www.microplexus.net/projects/...screenshot.jpg Does this look familiar to what you are seeing there when coming out of standby?
Closed Thread