4200+ X2 feels very slow - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default 4200+ X2 feels very slow

So i´ve bought a new system, with a 4200+ X2 processor, but it feels kinda slow, i really cant tell very much difference between this and my old P4 2.8 GHz.
Is there something i have to do to "get it going"?
Cuz this is kinda dissappointing i must say.

In 3dmark 06 i get 0.311 FPS in the first cpu-test, and 0.502 FPS in the second.

And one more thing, i thought i would be able to play Oblivion with high settings and good fps, but it really runs bad, is it because the computer only have 1GB ram? I have the x1950xt GPU so i cant imagine it being anything else, unless it´s the cpu but i cant imagine it being that bad.
I am very thankfull for any help.

And since it´s my first post here, hey all!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

well unless your doing multitasking you wont notice a huge difference, I never did changing from a 3200+ to my E6600 core 2 duo. The only impact I do see is if copying or opening .zip or .rar files, using multimedia apps like 3dsmax or photoshop and converting avi's to mpg2.

Now in oblivion what res are you running? do you have the latest drivers? also if you run everything on max it`ll still die id recommend AA on x4 AF x4 or x8 and turn soft shadows off it`ll kill most things and in oblivion it looks rubbish.

Also to note there was an X2 hotfix awhile back not sure if its still needed but worth a shot:

Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok thx m8, i´ll try out that hotfix
Closed Thread