4 pin molex connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahlia13

Solid State Member
Hey guys, thanks again for helping me out with my first build...I've run into a hiccup where I have no clue where I connect the 4-pin molex (?) to my motherboard?? I have a Corsair Carbide 400r and I'm assuming all the fans are already connected into the molex adapter so that I can control the fans manually on my front panel...I found the connector on my PSU but I don't know where I hook up that little 4-pin connection. My mobo is a MSI P67A-G43 (B3). I hope I'm identifying these parts/terms correctly lol!

These are molex connections (the big ones... the small one is a fan header):

molex4pin%20to%203pin.jpg

This is a 3-pin fan connection:

0533_MED.jpg

Which one do you mean?

Hopefully this helps :) Image 2 shows that I connected the molex connection to my PSU but I have no idea what that last thing is...it's connected to my PSU on the same cord as the molex connector. I'm not sure if I just leave it alone or if I'm supposed to attach it to my motherboard as I can't seem to find anything with 4 pins on my mobo. Should I just manually attach all my case fans by the 3-pin connectors directly on my mobo instead? *NEWB*

2ngrig3.jpg

Is there a possibility that my motherboard does not have any place to connect it to? I've scoured my mobo and manual multiple times and the only areas I see to fit a fan connector requires 3 pins...the only 4-pin connection I see goes to the CPU fan connection, which I highly doubt is for this connection I'm holding...Will I need an 4-to-3 pin adapter?

4-pin is usually a PWM fan connector. Some boards do not have these. If IIRC, you can just use them on a regular 3-pin connector. The 4th pin is only for voltage control.

THANK YOU! :D This had me stumped for way too long lol. Now, I tried to look up which pins to connect, but I found out I have a Molex 8981 (with yellow +12v, black, black, red +5v wires). Which pin do I leave off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom