I'm working with a fairly old computer that was built about 4 years ago. I didn't build it myself but I have changed the heatsink and swapped cases about 2 years ago. The problems I'm having are crashes or very bad behavior in 3d graphics windows... games in particular. 2d apps/games seem to work normally and I'm getting no noticable 2d acceleration problems from the cards that support it.
I have gone though the following video cards and I've provided the results ( from many games and other 3d window generating aps ):
- nVidia Geforce 4, nVidia MX400 - Some games will play well with some flickers of garbage then the graphics get quite full of artifacts. The game/app will crash or get so garbled that they are unusable. The crash will sometimes be recoverable othertimes the system locks up and sound loops until you reset.
- Radeon 9800 pro, Radeon X700 pro - the only difference in the radeons is that I don't get any garbage. I'll get some gameplay or 3d graphics then the application will crash. It does seem to trigger what sounds like the monitor changing resolutions, what I suspect is the VPU recovery system, and in one test Grand Theft Auto III did it several times and was playable but did eventually cause a lock up. If I turn the VPU off the system usually locks up but sometimes can be recovered or the application (GTA III) will pause and be usable for a time but it always crashes eventually.
This is a link to a cpu-z generated page of the components. http://members.cox.net/lintphishx/cpuz.htm
I've done the following... and probably more that I can't remember I've tried over the past month:
*Cleaning the AGP slot with air and inspecting closely for dust.
*Making sure the cards work in another computer and they do.
*Trying a new clean installation of windows on a new partition.
*All the versions of official and omega drivers I could get my hands on... I think about 3 versions worth including the ones that came with the video cards.
*Trying an Antec 400w power supply and a 550w power supply.
*Changing Apeture size and turning off/on Fastwrite and various other AGP options in many combinations.
*Updating the bios and chipset AGP drivers
*Pulling everything out but the CPU and putting it all back inside.
I'm sure I did something else but don't remember... I suggested it was the mobo but I was told I'd get a beep code if that was the case. I replied, "Boulderdash!"... because that didn't sound right. Before I break down and get a new mobo, and processor for the **** of it, I hope someone can give me a miracle cure of any number of money saving steps... Thank you in advance for any guidance. I may have left something out so ask me whatever you need to ask to get this right!