320GB HD only 300GB afte formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty090

Baseband Member
Is there any way to get the full bang from these larger drives or are you just stuck eating that 7% loss once formatted?

I am using WinXP Pro SP2 Comp stats should show at bottom.
Thanks!
Smitty

In my signature below, you'll see a link that says "137GB Barrier", click on it and it will solve the problem :)

talldude123 said:
In my signature below, you'll see a link that says "137GB Barrier", click on it and it will solve the problem :)

No I dont think it has anything to do with that. You always lose space when you format anything.

Yeah, I read that but my problem isnt windows doesnt recognize.. it's just you seem to lose soooo much space when you format..
Thanks for the post.
I like your sig.. dont forget words ending in "izl" lol

Actually, Windows doesn't give ALL the space of any hard drive. Example: If you have a 40GB hard drive, you'll end up with 37GB. I guess that's why you only get 300GB.

Hard drive manufacturers consider one gigabyte equal to 1 billion bytes, while Windows XP calculates gigabytes according to the tradional binary formula, where 1 gigabyte is equivalent to 1,073,741,824 bytes. Ultimately, when you format your hard drive, you end up losing a certain amount of that due to the Windows XP formula. As you would guess, the bigger the hard drive, the more you lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom