3 Mobile Broadband Prepaid issue-Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechNoob123

Solid State Member
Okay, so i have a very old Compaq Presario SR5045AN Desktop PC with 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium, which i had to restore back to factory condition because BSOD's kept popping up after logging on. After system restoring, I had to reinstall many programs and drivers back onto the computer.

After a lot of time reinstalling, I had to reinstall the drivers for a 3 Mobile Broadband Prepaid Modem (E160 model) and it said I was successful, but I had to restart the computer. So I restarted, and when it was booting up, it crashed with BSOD again. I didn't have time to take any of the info, but I am pretty sure that the drivers for the modem had caused the problem.

After many unsuccessful boot attempts, the computer was FINALLY able to work, and I was able to see if the drivers had successfully installed. However, when I tried to connect, it came up with: Error 797: A connection to the remote computer could not be established because the modem was not found or was busy. So i know that the driver installation went incorrectly or the drivers are outdated or corrupted.

On a different computer (with working internet, of course) I was able to find out that many other people were having similar problems like me. However, as much as I look, there has been no definite solution yet. I have tried reinstalling the programs and drivers related with the mobile broadband dongle, but that didn't work. I tried reinstalling the modem on a different usb port, but that did no good either, and I was met with a huge gauntlet of crashes and bsods. I couldn't think of anything to do, but right now, I have uninstalled everything related to the modem off the computer and I am waiting for a response.

Also, I have a laptop which I also associate the modem with (A HP Pavilion 1205AX) and the modem works on that, so I know it can't be a messed up or faulty modem.

As for the BSOD information:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini011612-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt
View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.
Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 8288F2E8
BCP4: 8288EFE4
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

PLEASE help because I am nearly going back to school, and I need a computer which I can use to do work on (my laptop is more for gaming rather than an educational resource. However, I will have to use it if the internet doesn't work on my other computer)

Sticky situation you seem to have here. I have a couple questions first off to narrow down the problem:
  • When you restored the problematic Presario, you mentioned to factory condition, did you first format the drive?
  • Which operating system is installed on the laptop in which the E160 functions properly?
  • Do you have a card inserted into the microSD slot on the dongle?
  • Have you tried testing the dongle while booting from SafeMode with networking enabled?
  • Have you tried running an error scan (CHKDSK) on your partition?
  • Any information in your event viewer? (Start>Control Panel>System & Maintenance>Admin Tools>Event Viewer)
  • Is the dongle plugged in while booting, and if so,have you tried waiting until the PC is booted up before connecting the device.
I stumbled across **This** while researching your problem as well. If all else fails, this seems like it would provide sufficient information. Anywho, I look forward to hearing back from you, hopefully we can narrow down and set the record straight for anyone else who may encounter this problem down the line.
- Rube​

No, I don't think I did anything to the hard drive, and on my laptop the OS is a 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. I tried testing the dongle from safe mode with networking, but the computer didn't find the modem, nor did it find any of its counterparts, other than the program which helps me connect to the internet. I have not run a chkdsk scan yet. Nothing has caught my attention in the event viewer... I left the dongle plugged out when rebooting, because when I booted with it in the dongle, it blue screened. However, when I tried connecting, it couldn't find the device. I closed the program, unplugged the modem, and then plugged it in, waited for autoplay to appear, before launching the program to connect again. However, it came up with the modem is busy error. Right now, i'm identifying the stop error from the minidump file. I hope there is a result soon...

Oh, I remember something which might help. The night before, when the computer was working fine, I had installed 108 updates... If there's a way I can list them out to you, maybe one of them could have stopped the dongle from working, because before the factory restoration, the mobile broadband worked perfectly fine, and i had no problems with it...

@ TechNoob123, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

UPDATE on the issue: There are many ups and downs since then. I have used BSODChecker to find all the details about the BSOD crash. The driver that caused the STOP error was a HSX_CNXT.sys. I looked in device manager and was able to find out that the driver was part of a device called "PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP" That's the good news. However, there are TONNES of bad news, some which are out of my belief, and also cannot explain...

Well, since my last reply, I have been having BSOD's which don't send minidumps to the C\Windows\Minidump folder. While we are on the topic of BSOD's, I have been having them quite frequently. I have them at the oddest places at the oddest times. They pop up during startup, safe mode (all 3 of them), startup repair, hardware diagnostics and tools, they also pop up when I launch last known good configuration!!! The list goes on... Sometimes, the blue screen only comes up with random numbers. In other words, there's no "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down...etc, etc, etc. I'd say that out of 20 boot attempts, one is successful.

I have also been having massive problems with my RAM. When my computer finally loads up, instead of having 3GB of ram, it only came up with 2GB. So I launched the memory diagnostics tool, and it said that my ram was faulty. I have 3 memory modules (one 2GB, the others 512MB). So I know that the 512 MB ones are faulty.

As well as that, my HDD is faulty too. I have scanned using many programs, and most of them say that my Hard Drive is faulty. I check device manager, and it says my HDD is perfectly fine.

I then lost sound. Well, there is sound, but there is no volume control. Again, I checked all the drivers for the sound devices in Device manager, but again, they were in perfect condition. I checked if all the cables and wires were connected, and they were...

Am I going mad or is my computer going mad, because the problems don't stop coming. My cpu has also been going crazy. Sometimes, there is unexplainable CPU usage on tasks which are low priority. Sometimes, boot times are spectacularly fast, and at other times, i can go to the toilet, come back, and still be annoyed because the computer is still booting up.

There is no malware, viruses or rootkits of any kind on the computer. I have never messed around with the internal components of the computer (motherboard, graphics card, HDD), other than to clean up the insides (dust, etc,) of the computer, and to add the 2GB RAM module, and my dad's friend did that for me. I have not installed much except for Microsoft Office and several cleaning tools as a desperate attempt to fix the problem... I usually play games like Plants Vs Zombies on my USB.

Please help because in a week, i'm going back to school and I am taking desperate attepts to give it a lease for life :sick:

UPDATE on the issue: There are many ups and downs since then. I have used BSODChecker to find all the details about the BSOD crash. The driver that caused the STOP error was a HSX_CNXT.sys. I looked in device manager and was able to find out that the driver was part of a device called "PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP" That's the good news. However, there are TONNES of bad news, some which are out of my belief, and also cannot explain...

Well, since my last reply, I have been having BSOD's which don't send minidumps to the C\Windows\Minidump folder. While we are on the topic of BSOD's, I have been having them quite frequently. I have them at the oddest places at the oddest times. They pop up during startup, safe mode (all 3 of them), startup repair, hardware diagnostics and tools, they also pop up when I launch last known good configuration!!! The list goes on... Sometimes, the blue screen only comes up with random numbers. In other words, there's no "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down...etc, etc, etc. I'd say that out of 20 boot attempts, one is successful.

I have also been having massive problems with my RAM. When my computer finally loads up, instead of having 3GB of ram, it only came up with 2GB. So I launched the memory diagnostics tool, and it said that my ram was faulty. I have 3 memory modules (one 2GB, the others 512MB). So I know that the 512 MB ones are faulty.

As well as that, my HDD is faulty too. I have scanned using many programs, and most of them say that my Hard Drive is faulty. I check device manager, and it says my HDD is perfectly fine.

I then lost sound. Well, there is sound, but there is no volume control. Again, I checked all the drivers for the sound devices in Device manager, but again, they were in perfect condition. I checked if all the cables and wires were connected, and they were...
There is no malware, viruses or rootkits of any kind on the computer. I have never messed around w

Please help because in a week, i'm going back to school and I am taking desperate attepts to give it a lease for life :sick:

Is this your current setup
Compaq Presario SR5000 Desktop PC series -  Compaq Presario SR5045AN Desktop PC Product Specifications - c00881610 - HP Business Support Center

Also by looking at everything you mentioned, it sounds like you need to reformat and reinstall vista again.
Starting backing up the files you need and go ahead format the hdd and install vista again.
Make sure you copy any new drivers you downloaded, what type of ram are you using as well ?
We should have you up and going by tomorrow afternoon.

Is this your current setup
Compaq Presario SR5000 Desktop PC series*-* Compaq Presario SR5045AN Desktop PC Product Specifications - c00881610 - HP Business Support Center

Also by looking at everything you mentioned, it sounds like you need to reformat and reinstall vista again.
Starting backing up the files you need and go ahead format the hdd and install vista again.
Make sure you copy any new drivers you downloaded, what type of ram are you using as well ?
We should have you up and going by tomorrow afternoon.

By the way, is reformatting your hard drive the same thing as wiping it (yeah, i don't know)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom