3 Cards - What are they for? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation 3 Cards - What are they for?

I acquired two Dell PC which were previously networked. I installed new OS on one (Windows XP w/Service Pack 2). It is up and running okay. I connected the 2nd Dell and it rang out a series of beeps. The 2 are exactly the same with one exception, I noticed 3 cards are missing from the one not running yet. I took the 3 out of the one, put them in the other and it works fine. Installed the new OS and it is okay. My problem is I don't know what these 3 cards are. I have written down the #s off of them. How do I find out what they are and/or what they are for?

I also acquired 4 IBM's with the same situation. Have to install new OS as they were previously networked and I can't get past the cntl-alt-del and password prompt. I've not worked on a IBM before so any info is appreciated.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just ran the report from the Everest application and found that these cards are:
1. [ DIMM1: Goldstar GMM2649233CTG-7J ]
2. [ DIMM2: Micron Tech. 8LSDT864AG-10CB4 ]
3. [ DIMM3: Hitachi HB52E88EM-B6 ]

So I assume these are RAM? Are these cards interchangeble? Can I take the cards from the IBM's and replace those missing from the Dell?

Old 10-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

yes. they are ram. that is DEFINITELY why the pc would not boot. they may be interchangeable. if the ram fits in the slots then it will probably work. you only have to be careful that they are the correct voltage
Old 10-02-2005, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

And how do I check the voltage?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well it may have the voltage the dimms are run at on a sticker on them and the motherboard voltage will either be set in the BIOS or by jumpers on the motherboard. if you can't get a physical manual for the motherboard try and download one but chances are theyre compatable.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

On the report I got from Everest it shows: Module Voltage LVTTL. Is this what I'm looking for? If so, what does this mean to me?

Closed Thread