3 beeps and no POST (RAM is fine)

McMitch

Beta member
So I recently bought some new hardware (combined with an old CPU) to build my own NAS,

Mobo: Intel DH61DL
CPU: i3 3220
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz

When I powered it on there is no POST and I got 3 long beeps that repeat, this would usually indicate a RAM issue, I tried all combinations of 1 DIMM in each slot, and even some other (known working) RAM from my machine. This led me to believe the RAM was not compatible (as I had heard it was very picky with RAM) so I bought some RAM that was on the compatible list (Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB DDR3-1600 UDIMM upgrades for DH61DL Motherboard, CT2657355 from Crucial.com), I get the same error.

I also tried resetting the CMOS and reseating the CPU, a different power supply. But I still get the beeps.

Could it be anything else?

Thanks

Is it a new board or a used board? Could be that the RAM slots (or something else on the board entirely) is bad. Are you able to exchange it?

Is it a new board or a used board? Could be that the RAM slots (or something else on the board entirely) is bad. Are you able to exchange it?
It was bought off of eBay but it was brand new in box. I looked into it and it isn't under warranty. I might try the CPU in a different motherboard just to check it works. Might have to get another motherboard though.

Would love to be able to fix it, thanks for the reply

From what I could tell, it looks like that RAM should be compatible. Although it wasn't on this list of RAM guaranteed to work with that board. Worst case scenario you can still open a case on ebay and their buyer protection program will allow you to return it. It sucks for everyone involved but you should shouldn't have to be stuck with a bad board.

From what I could tell, it looks like that RAM should be compatible. Although it wasn't on this list of RAM guaranteed to work with that board. Worst case scenario you can still open a case on ebay and their buyer protection program will allow you to return it. It sucks for everyone involved but you should shouldn't have to be stuck with a bad board.
So are you sure that the board is bad?

And if it is a faulty board and the seller is not at fault, can I still return it?

Thanks

Check the eBay seller's return policy and start the return process.
No returns accepted :/ It wasn't that expensive so it's not a massive loss.

So would you say it's a lost cause trying to diagnose/fix it?

I'm trying to see if I can get in contact with Intel technical support see if they have any other suggestions, that is all I can think of right now.

Back
Top Bottom