2 Hard Drives???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Method

In Runtime
Can I just have 2 HD's installed and access which one I want manually from the 'mycomputer' tab or do I have to set them as RAID (not sure what this is entirely or what it does).

Yes you can. Just connect (either SATA or IDE) them to the motherboard. Ensuring that the OS is on controller 0. Then when you click my computer both will show up. You don't have to configure a RAID array to use SATA drives.

RAID stands for redundant array of independant disks. WHen configured you will have the ability to restore your drives if one fails. There are a few raid configurations:
RAID 0 - uses two drives and is not redundant. Meaning if you lose one drive you all of your data. This raid uses striping which makes accessing the drives faster. So people use this RAID configuration when they want to be able to access files faster.

RAID 1 - uses two drives and IS redundant. One drive is your primary drive will all of your information, and the other drive mirrors the primary drive. So that if either one of the drives fails, you can keep working off of the other drive and then replace the failed drive and rebuild the array.

RAID 5 - uses three or more drives and is redundant. This array uses parity in order to keep your data safe. Parity is keep track of what information is on what drives, meaning that on drive has value 1, and on another you have value 2, the parity of that would be 3. So if we lose information on any one of those drives, simple math will allow us to rebuild our array. 1+2=3, but if we lose say the second value, we know that it must be 2 to equal out three.

There are a few others, but these are the most commonly used. I know way more information then you wanted or probably needed, but i thought i'd at least help you out and let you know what RAID stood for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom