1TB Network HDD failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAMBO04

Solid State Member
Hey guys, am new to this forum :)

I have a dilemma and need some help... my 1TB EXT Network WD HDD recently failed, the HDD was fine but it doesn't power up. I need to recover my data (there is about 400GB of data on there) and need to back it all up to my other 1TB USB one. Does anyone know how to do it? I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light, thanks!

Pic of my HDD is below, just incase you are wondering which one it is:

159831-west_dig_original.jpg

Are you able to take it out of the enclosure, hook it up to a computer internally, and back the data up that way?

Problem is i am not sure how to open the enclosure as WD don't tell you (even though they say that the drive inside is replaceable if you want to exchange the old one with a new one)

I can't see any ways of opening it, but there must be a way to open it, i'm just not sure where to start.

It can be hooked up to a PC internally, just need to figure out how to do this all

thanks for your reply!

Are there any screws on the outside? Or are there any seams that you can pry into on the plastic shell? Maybe try contacting WD about it (if they're open for customer support today).

Yeah no screws at all on the outside. I could pry into the plastic (seems possible) but it could snap, so not doing anything drastic for now.

Yeah i might as well do that, they're shut now but can tomorrow, thing is this is only a month old and sucks that it's failed, so it's still in warranty. Shame they don't provide data recovery for free, with such an expensive product. PCWorld is asking for £100 if i want to recover my data, which is worth a new 1TB, so not worth it.

I might take it down the road to my local repair shop and see what they can do.

awesome i just got a clue, thanks for that!

took two of the rubber pads off, there are two buttons inside, which i'm assuming lets you open the case

DONE! i opened it :D there were hidden latches inside, i also got them open, took a lot of power tho, but it's open :)

Can anyone guide me in installing this internally?

EDIT dw no need, i have ordered a USB 2.0 to SATA cable and it should be coming on monday, and i can then hook it to my laptop, transfer all of the data across and then join it back together, send it off to WD and get my new one :D

Thanks for all your help!

Glad you were able to get it open. Hopefully you're able to recover your data off. Good luck.

Thanks CarnageX :) I have another problem though (sorry!)

i got the SATA to USB cable today and it works with all of my other harddrives, except one... my network HDD

thing is when i try to power it up (everythings plugged in at this moment), the light flickers and shuts (from the adaptor). whenever i turn the switch on and off it just flickers, meaning no power is going to the HDD. I have a feeling that this HDD may need more power because it also has a built in LED on the side which is not useful atm... any suggestions?

thanks

hook it up directly to your computer.
If it is not a laptop.
Use the sata power from your psu and connect directly to your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom