1st Build, Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantL

Beta member
I have a problem. I am 15 years old and this is my first build, it's a gaming machine, specs below

Case: Thermaltake v9 Black Edition
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard: Biostar TA990FXE AM3+
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 1866Mhz 2 x 4gb
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
GFX Card: Radeon HD 6850 1GB
PSU: Powerk? PW-650W
Need new HDD
Disk Drive: Asus Combo Drive

IT WON'T BOOT! EVERYTHING IS COMPATIBLE. I think the problem lies in the old HDD that I took out of my old machine. it still has files on it that I really don't care about. Do I need to wipe this drive? Not to mention the computer that I am using now has Win XP and the HDD that I took out of the built machine. supports XP and 2000. THE NEW MACHINE WONT EVEN BOOT THE BIOS. come on computer geniuses! DO YOU'RE STUFF :D

Presto! A rabbit! :whistle:

The most common: Did you connect the 8pin CPU power cord and the PCI-E power cord? Did you use stand-offs?

If you did the above, I would disconnect the drive and optical. If you have onboard video, take your 6850 out. If not, leave it. And try running with one stick of RAM. See if anything happens.

I'll look again but my PSU only has the the PCI-E power one and not the 8-pin one.

If it doesn't have the 8-pin, there should be 2 x 4 pins. I would put blame on that PSU. It is not a trusted brand...

If it doesn't have the 8-pin, there should be 2 x 4 pins. I would put blame on that PSU. It is not a trusted brand...

PoWork 650W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply w/SATA & PCIe (Black) PoWork PW-650

Features/Specifications:
PoWork 650W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply

General Features:
650-watt max output
120 mm fan
Supports Intel/AMD processors
Complies with ATX standards
115 / 230V switchable power
Low noise and ripple
High efficiency
Over-current protection
Over-voltage protection
Short circuit protection on all outputs
One (1) 12-inch 20+4-pin ATX power connector
One (1) 12-inch 4-pin ATX12V power connector
One (1) 12-inch 6-pin PCI Express power connector
Three (3) 12-inch large molex power connectors
Two (2) 12-inch SATA connectors
One (1) small floppy drive connector

You have a good build, but that wont stay steady long on a psu that you currently have.
If its meant for P4 and past AMD sockets, I would not use that and risk nuking my pc by accident. :\

Any suggestions? link and preferably under $50. :grin: I really don't want to mess this up!

What model should I get then? never mind the $50 remark I just want a good one that will last and work. thank you very much I have been dead in the water for at least a month now. You all are a godsend

I am assisting GrantL (my son) in this build, but unfortunately I too am new to the build process...so we've installed the CORSAIR PSU recommended here...and have only one stick of RAM in...everything else is carefully in sung and tight...STILL NO MOBO POST?

Here's what happens upon power on: mostly a whole lot of nothing...all fans run, one red LED light on Mobo, no Mobo LED number indicator.

What should we be looking for? Do you think the MOBO could be DOA?

Again, noooobs here, please help, thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom