186celcius temp on my processor, wtf?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweek

Beta member
So, i just completed my install of a Pentium 4 3.4ghz into an Intel D915pbl motherboard with the factory Intel heat sink and Artic Silver thermal paste.

I booted her up, everything came up normally. Downloaded some updates, let it sit at idle for appox. 4-5min. and restarted. i booted into BIOS to check everything out, and almost had a stroke when i saw the processor temp. at 186 degrees C.

I immediately assumed that the heat sink wasn't installed correctly/ too much thermal paste, so i reinstalled it, being sure to take my time and do it by the book.

The processor is running 97-105 in BIOS. The strange part is that even at the insanely high temps, the computer never shut off.

There is more than enough airflow in and out of the case, and the heat sink is almost cool to the touch afterwards.

Any past experience with this, suggestions, web sites would be great, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

186 C is 366 F approx. That is hot!!!

My AMD Athlon runs around 118 F most of the time. I have 4 80mm fans plus a 120mm fan running constantly. Sure it's noisy...but 118 is as high as I have seen.

that has to be a faulty heat sensor because intel cpus downclock if they overheat and if needed shut off

ShoobieRat said:
Yep. Faulty....or not setup correctly.

How would you go about setting up your heat sensor?

Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps i should go through to determine if the heat sensor is bad?

Some mobos have a heat sensor that is not integrated into the socket. Read your manual for the mobo. I've seen people do some strange things with that little wire.

You don't need any trouble-shooting steps. If the sensor is integrated (or situated correctly if not), anyone will tell you that those temperatures are too high to be possible.

So either the sensor is bad, or your mobo isn't updated to the correct version. Make sure you have all the drivers for the mobo up to date, and check the BIOS version. On my mobo, it was reporting that my chip was running at nearly a thousand degrees C, because the mobo drivers had a bug and needed to be updated. Once I did, everything looked normal.

As I said above, check with the mobo manufacturers to see if they have any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom