100% CPU usage after a while? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default 100% CPU usage after a while?

I just recently bought my custom computer and built it. Here's my problem. After about 10 minutes to an hour (it varies), my computer will all of a sudden get dreadfully slow, the CPU usage will skyrocket to 100% to 89% and i'll lose my internet connection. It keeps slowing down even more until it finally just turns off. I'll also be able to smell something.

Specs are as follows
Asus hybrid SLI AMD motherboard
Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB DDR3
500 GB HD
Corsair 650W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 5200 2.7GHZ
I have one 120mm fan running and all other fans (psu and cpu) are running perfectly fine

What part is doing this? I live very far away from my closest CompUSA so if I bring a part back to exchange, i want to make sure it's the right one.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: 100% CPU usage after a while?

Sounds like you're overheating.

Check to make sure it has a CPU heatsink and fan ... and find a utility that will make sure the fan is running... or just leave the case open while it's on to make sure the fan is running.

Also, if all that checks out make sure you've got some thermal compound on the CPU/Heatsink - my bro's new mobo came "ready" but they did a horrible job at seating the heatsink and the thermal paste just kind of wandered off (there wasn't much to begin with)

Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

all the fans are working. question though - if i go to compUSA tonight, what parts should I bring to exchange? could the overheating have damaged the entire assembly of parts?

right now I think i'm gonna switch out the mobo, processor and PSU just to be safe. and this time i'm buying thermal paste. coincidentally the AMD came with it pre-applied
Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

nah, that autoshutoff should have you protected. I wouldn't spend the time to swap anything out just yet. Like I said, my bro's pc did the same thing. He just got some name brand thermal paste and tightened the heatsink clamp. hasn't had a problem since.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Make sure your CPU heatsync is tight against the CPU. Sounds like a bad contact. after it shuts down go into bios and in bios check the health tab and check your temp.
Closed Thread