Zalman - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: Zalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgunit View Post
Why doesn't anyone on these board like or recommend Zalman? With my OC'ed X2 6000+ I am at 32*idle/42*load.

Cause if you look around you will notice most of this board is full of fanboys that won't recommend something unless it's what they are rooting for.

Personally I'm going to use a Zalman 9700 in my future build. They look great, and look strong and not all thrown together.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Zalman's are good, but in all honesty they are overpriced and not worth it because there are similar performing products for way less price

ex: Xigmatek Rifle (competes with TRUE which is better than a Zalman 9700 [well except in looks])

AF64: Temps are a little bit higher than the Zalman's but its half the price, I'm not telling anybody to play double for an extra 2degrees cooler CPU temp

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
Cause if you look around you will notice most of this board is full of fanboys that won't recommend something unless it's what they are rooting for.
...and you've found this out during your lengthly tenure here? i think this is actually one of the more open minded forums around. and most of us fanboys here on TF will recommend a better product than what we own/support. there are a few exceptions.

Quote:
No one said the Xigmatek Rifle looks like a hunk of crap. It is actually very stylish and you can add an LED fan to it.

It is also a very highly recommended and trusted cooler. Basically you are saying to spend $15 more for something that isn't as good, just because you personally have used them (not to mention that the higher Zalman's that would actually compare to the Xigmatek, like yours, are $30 more, not $15). But, what you really should do is buy the cheaper (and better) cooler that many others have used. Not to mention it's a lot easier to install than a Zalman.
let me be the first to say it...if we are talking about this one:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-D1284 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

dude. it's UGLY. as i said before, aesthetics mean something to certain people.

if we are talking about this one:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

it's decent. but by the design, if the fan was to be mounted on it as i think it would be, it would be rather fugly as well. without the fan, it will not be as efficient as my zalman, i don't think...so double whammy there.

those are the only two i see that are around 40 bucks. plus, i don't see how a cooler that is made to fit every socket ever made is easier to install than a cooler whose bracket is designed specifically for a certain socket or sockets (ie intel or AMD).

look at this, it's the one i have...
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

it's a friggin work of art, IMO.

here's another for suggesting the cnps' over the bigger coolers mentioned here....SPACE.
it's smaller than many other comprable coolers.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

We speak of the second one, but the 9500 looks better IMO

EDIT: n-dogg... how did the sniping go?
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

my sniping skills were bested this weekend little buddy.
keep your fingers crossed for more cheap 7900gs'
maybe i will try to snipe you a mobo with onboard if i can find one. that is, if you flunk your AP test or whatever it was that you had to do to get that 780g.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Oh the results don't matter

My 'rents said that they'd buy sometimes after the test

Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

word up i am looking on ebay then for a card for you.
be patient, i'll get one sooner or later
Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Eh, looks are a matter of opinion, but results aren't. I'll agree that the Zalman's look much better, but I'll still stick with the cheaper and better Xigmatek. Also, the Xigmatek is easy to install. You simply choose what socket type you need (LGA 775 in my case) and screw in two side plates which have the push pins for the motherboard.

It's about 2.5cm taller than the Zalman too, but unless you have an uber skinny case or lots of sound dampening foam, it will fit without trouble.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

How many of you guys are running a CNPS9500?

My CPU is at 35 degrees idel but then again its hot in my room right now, lovely summer oh and my cpu is overclocked by 200Mhz so that kinda contiributes
Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Drizzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I've seen plenty of amd fans recommending intel products and vice versa (not so much though) on these forums.

The zalmans though are just not recommend because alot of the times you can get better for less money and sometimes better for more money.

Why would you pay alot when you can get that xigmatek cooler for $15 less?

Quote:
Yeah, and a Zalman can be had for $15 more. Not that big of a price difference, when I can get something I know and trust will work.
Go ahead, spend 15 bucks more on something that performs less.
Quote:
And I agree with other poster, I think the Xigmatek Rifle looks like a hunk of crap.
Disagreed.

Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Closed Thread