z68, z58, upcoming x79 and z77? what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonie

In Runtime
I am want to do a build soon but I cant seem to distinguish the difference between the z68 chipset and the x58 other than the x58 is for the i7 extremes and the z68 is for the normal i7's.

Do they offer different features, expansions slots and ram slots etc? sorry I am kinda new to intels side of the PC world. the AMD side seemed to have everything iriond out where if you got an AM3+ you got the best and got everything you wanted.

I understand they use different socket types, the z68 uses the 1155 and the x58 the 2011 but thats about it.

And also, should I wait for their successors the z77 and the x79? what new improvements are these making?

for the CPU i was wanting to go ivy bridges i7's or possibly sandy bridge E.

would love some training here lol thanks guys!

Z68 MoBos have the newer 1155 socket. The 1155 socket will be sticking around and is used for both sandy bridge and ivy bridge. Expansion slots and RAM speeds differ from board to board (Even ones with the same chipset). The X58 is a much older chipset and uses a socket that is being phased out.

As far as the new chipsets go I don't know much and I'm not going to comment on them.

Z68 is the newest chipset to hit the market. They are a combination of p67 and H67 with a few added features, like SSD cashing, EIF bios and onboard video support. The 1155 socket is said to be compatible with the new ivy bridge processors but there are questions as to which version of the cpu they will be able run. I've read in multiple articles that the 1155 will only allow for the lower ends ivy and the lg2011 will be for the higher ends. But these processors are still 3-5 months away. No point waiting my friend, there will always be newer processors on the way. look at the 2500k :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom