your thoughts on my first gaming pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOX-DIE

Solid State Member
Hi i am building my frist gaming pc and wanted to know what you thought any reccomendations/advice appreciated.

thanks.

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz (1333FSB)

Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

GeIL 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz Black Dragon DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) (will get another one later for SLI gaming)

Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi Compliant PSU

NZXT Lexa Blackline Blue Midi Tower Case

HP dvd1070i 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter x2

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 isn't 1333fsb....

but don't get a Quad and a 650i Chipset, they fail with overclocking when put together...

Don't get superclocked cards, get a reference one and OC it yourself or get an HD 4850

I remember reading on some benchmarks review that had like 5 cards they were testing. Said the msi card showed the best performance @ the same speeds. eVGA is nice sure, but I think you're paying for their upgrade program whether you want it or not, so because the price is a bit higher, doesn't mean you're getting quality.

Newegg.com - MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This card is $144 after rebate and the performance increase is maybe like.. 5-10% comparing the 8800gt and 9800gtx (check to be certain?) The 8800gt's use the G80 gpu which is probably the most popular card of this year.

If money is an issue, you might want to look into the best bang for your buck, and I think this selection is perfect, otherwise if you have all the money in the world, definatly step up and get a 9 series geforce.

I think the hard drive is overkill, heard 32mb cache is only for high traffic servers.. Probably want to stick to barracuda 16mb 7200 sata

Your mobo.. just get an eVGA 750i FTW board and you're set, no questions asked.. If you are doing SLI, get this board.

Your powersupply, be better off with a PC Power & Cooling 650w.

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 isn't 1333fsb....

but don't get a Quad and a 650i Chipset, they fail with overclocking when put together...

Don't get superclocked cards, get a reference one and OC it yourself or get an HD 4850

1333fsb version available here :

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz Guaranteed to run at 3.00GHZ (1333FSB) - Retail

yes will no longer be getting that mobo, does not run gpu's at full speed in SLI mode.

what OS are you going with? I would personally get the 9800gtx, only $210 on newegg.

most probably XP 64bit, or vista ultimate 64bit, i have heard about alot of conflicts and issues with vista 64 bit, so most probbaly stick with xp.

I remember reading on some benchmarks review that had like 5 cards they were testing. Said the msi card showed the best performance @ the same speeds. eVGA is nice sure, but I think you're paying for their upgrade program whether you want it or not, so because the price is a bit higher, doesn't mean you're getting quality.

Newegg.com - MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This card is $144 after rebate and the performance increase is maybe like.. 5-10% comparing the 8800gt and 9800gtx (check to be certain?) The 8800gt's use the G80 gpu which is probably the most popular card of this year.

If money is an issue, you might want to look into the best bang for your buck, and I think this selection is perfect, otherwise if you have all the money in the world, definatly step up and get a 9 series geforce.

I think the hard drive is overkill, heard 32mb cache is only for high traffic servers.. Probably want to stick to barracuda 16mb 7200 sata

Your mobo.. just get an eVGA 750i FTW board and you're set, no questions asked.. If you are doing SLI, get this board.

Your powersupply, be better off with a PC Power & Cooling 650w.

hi im based it the uk so that offer aint any good for me, i think i will go for the 9800gtx, and then get another one at a later stage and SLI bridge them.

the mobo you reccomended seems great, in the uk the eVGA 750i and the Asus striker extreme are around the same price, which one would be best?

thanks

Ahh I see the are guaranting that it'll overclock to 3.0ghz... but at stock its still 1066fsb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom