Your opinions on this computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Bones

Baseband Member
Greetings; I am in talks to purchase the following used system, and would be very appreciative of your opinions.

CPU: AMD 3200+ (939, Venice)
Mobo: Chaintech VNF4 Ultra Zenith VE (link)
GPU: XFX Geforce 7800GT
RAM: 2x Crucial 512MB pc3200
Sound: Audigy 2 ZS
HDD: 160GB Samsung + 80GB Maxtor (both 7200RPM IDE)
Optical: NEC 16x DVD-RW (ND-3520A)
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier
PSU: Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W
Bonus: TES: Oblivion Collector's Edition, Call of Duty 2 (latter came with videocard)

Price is $900 USD total, which includes shipping. All the important stuff comes with original materials and accessories.

What do you think? The system was built at the beginning of this year, and has received only light use. Is it good value?

Here's a little more about me, my situation, and what I'd be using the computer for:

- My current machine is a P4 1.5GHz, ATI 9800, 512MB SDR system. This is not much of a game-playing machine anymore, obviously. I like computers, and I do some gaming, but I'm nothing more than a casual hobbyist. I don't overclock (though I might try to push the CPU up a bit on this system, as I hear the Venices OC real well).

- I've been wanting to build a new computer for some time, but I've been waiting for AM2 and BTX, and now Vista and DX10. But I've come to realize that I probably wouldn't be able to build an affordable, stable system with all that until well into 2007 anyway, if not 2008. The P4 1.5GHz is not going to hold me over until 2008, not if I want to do any gaming.

- As well as all the usual stuff and some gaming, I also use my PC for viewing DVDs and watching television-- I use my computer as my TV. I've got a silly MSI TV tuner card in my current system, but I'll likely be getting a slick Hauppauge card down the road.

If you think I can do better for my money, I really want to hear it. One note: I'm not in the U.S., I'm in Canada. So while I do have decent sources for parts, I don't have Newegg. Feel free to use it as a reference, but I wouldn't be able to get deals quite that good were I to build my own system from the ground up.

Thank you very much!

Not bad for $900 I'd say... not sure it will run Oblivion on Max settings or anything like that, but it will be playable. COD2 will run as sweet as a nut.

Saying that I dont think you would be able to get something like that for the same price-or less anywhere else.

It should do you for most games for a little while on high settings, although you may have to turn it down a little in 2007/2008 :)

In conclusion, i'd say go ahead, seems like a good deal to me :D

Its a great deal, my current system can run any game out (except next-gen stuff) full settings. And with the next gen games I generally have to turn off shadows and just lower the graphics a tiny bit and boom, 40-50 fps =) (I say generally because I am not certain if it is universal on ALL the next-gen games =))

Thanks guys! After getting your responses and consulting with friends, I'm pretty much sold. Though I'd still like to hear additional opinions, if anyone has anything to add.

I'm also being offered a 19" Hyundai LCD (used as well) for $190. (link) What do you think about that? It goes for $259.99 brand new at Newegg, but the cheapest I've found it for in Canada is what would work out to $310 USD. So it's hard for me to tell just how good a deal this is.

I mean, $190 for a 19"? Can't really be bad. The reviews of this model are mostly very good. There are some reports of dead pixels, but that actually might be one advantage of buying it used-- I know it didn't ship with any. And while they can develop over time, knowing that it didn't ship with dead pixels and you're stuck with it is the key thing.

I'm using a 17" BenQ LCD right now. Not a top brand, I know. But I got a good deal on it originally, and I have no complaints whatsoever. What I like about the Hyundai is that it's DVI, and the specs are only better. Plus, obviously, it's 2" bigger. I'm not getting a higher resolution, on the other hand. Just larger pixels.

I could run dual-monitor, with the Hyundai as my main, and the BenQ as my secondary, sharing the BenQ with my old computer via KVM.

I'm debating getting a 24" LCD. Something like an Acer AL2416WD, or the Dell 2405FPW. You know, because my PC is my TV and DVD player. But I just don't know if it's worth it, value-wise.

What do you say? Yes or no on the Hyundai 19" LCD for $190? Or should I pass on it altogether, and grab one of those 24-inchers the next time one goes on sale? I don't have money to throw around, but I'd consider investing in a good monitor as I spend so much time in front of it.

Thanks again!

i think a used that comp at that price is not that great of a deal, for the exception of the video card. remember, it's all used.

the hyundai, i say **** no. read up here

a 24" would be a ripoff even in sales. you can find a decent brand new 19" for less that 170 made by a less that revered company.

umybiatch2k6 said:
i think a used that comp at that price is not that great of a deal, for the exception of the video card. remember, it's all used.

Used, but I trust that it's been well cared for. I couldn't build an equivalent system new for under $1,000 USD, could I? The CPU is lower than I'd like, but the videocard is very good for the value.

the hyundai, i say **** no. read up here

But those reviews comprise less than 6% of the total. And I think it's fair to say that a dissatisfied customer is more likely to write a review than a happy one.

And because the monitor is used, I know that it doesn't have any of these out-of-the-box problems. And even if there is a problem, there's a Hyundai-certified repair depot near to me.

a 24" would be a ripoff even in sales.

Why do you say it would be a rip-off? I realize you're paying more per square inch the larger you go, but large is what I'm interested in.

you can find a decent brand new 19" for less that 170 made by a less that revered company.

Can you give me an example? While I know I can't find such a good deal in Canada, I'm willing to accept that it's a possibility in the U.S. But I certainly haven't seen it. 19" LCD for under $170? Where?

19" for 169.99

same for 149.99

i didn't know you were that crazy about large monitors, all i heard was "I don't have money to throw around" cuz i tend to think that way too.

i'm not talkin about the out-the-box problems, i skimmed over the reviews and noticed that a lot had problems w/ the company and dead pixels, one regarding precisely the quick degradation over time of this monitor. Notice that those are also the part of the more recent reviews, yet again proving that after a while, they go bad (and you're about to buy an already older one).

that, and i just hate hyundai.

good luck w/ the rest

umybiatch2k6 said:

A lower price than I ever thought possible, I will give you that. Though it is after rebate. This isn't an everyday price, not yet.

Do you have one of these? Never heard of Hanns G. I don't have a thing for big brand names, but I'd be afraid to try anything so unknown.

i didn't know you were that crazy about large monitors, all i heard was "I don't have money to throw around" cuz i tend to think that way too.

Well, I'm not crazy about them. I just want one, and am willing to spend under $800.00 for one, I think. ;P But I wouldn't think of buying a Samsung for $1,500, or something.

i'm not talkin about the out-the-box problems, i skimmed over the reviews and noticed that a lot had problems w/ the company and dead pixels, one regarding precisely the quick degradation over time of this monitor. Notice that those are also the part of the more recent reviews, yet again proving that after a while, they go bad (and you're about to buy an already older one).

that, and i just hate hyundai.

Well, my understanding is that problems crop up for a small minority of users with almost all but the best models, even now that the industry is starting to warm up. So, I'll go over those bad reviews in detail, but again, my thinking is that it's the people with problems who submit reviews-- not the people for whom it's clear sailing.

I've read a lot of really decent publication reviews for the monitor, though.

good luck w/ the rest

Thanks for your input.

yea i wouldn't get those 2 monitors umybiatch2k6 suggested, both of them have worse specs lesds that the hyndai, and i seriously doubt either of them is an 8-bit panel. i guess you would have to trust the user that the hyundai doesn't have a bunch of lines going across it.

Running said:
yea i wouldn't get those 2 monitors umybiatch2k6 suggested, both of them have worse specs lesds that the hyndai, and i seriously doubt either of them is an 8-bit panel. i guess you would have to trust the user that the hyundai doesn't have a bunch of lines going across it.

they're the same monitor. and i don't expect a 170 dollar to be better than a 260 dollar one, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom