Your CPU and modern games: A guide to those building.

PP's talking about comparing gaming performance specifically across multiple CPU types not general gaming or system comparison.

And on that front, he's absolutely right. People get quad/hex core CPUs because they think it's going to help them game SO much faster, when in actuality there is little increase.
Take a look at the G860 vs an i5 2500.
2 vs 4 cores, 3MB vs 6MB cache, 3Ghz vs 3.3Ghz
Where the G860 will score 20FPS, the 2500 will score 31.5FPS

To be clear, we're getting 11.1 more FPS out of buying a $200+ CPU vs a $75 CPU.

Those literally have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Nor do they give explicitly what I asked for. Like I said before, this basically has nothing to do with you or any of the experienced members on this forum. This whole thread in fact.

PP's talking about comparing gaming performance specifically across multiple CPU types not general gaming or system comparison.

And on that front, he's absolutely right. People get quad/hex core CPUs because they think it's going to help them game SO much faster, when in actuality there is little increase.
Take a look at the G860 vs an i5 2500.
2 vs 4 cores, 3MB vs 6MB cache, 3Ghz vs 3.3Ghz
Where the G860 will score 20FPS, the 2500 will score 31.5FPS

To be clear, we're getting 11.1 more FPS out of buying a $200+ CPU vs a $75 CPU.
Exactly.

To be more specific, giving a very broad comparison to the differences a dual, dual with HT, a quad, and a hex compare with a single good GPU on a broad spectrum of modern games. Even more specifically, a single resolution with a standard set of settings. That is something no one site gives. You can easily compile a ton of information for specific older games at lower resolutions (CPU testing) with a wide set of different GPUs but that doesn't give anybody a real average to go by. That's the point of why I'm asking, because it's a lot of work (hours of benchmarking, making charts, ect) and it's all pointless if nobody wants to see the info.

To specify further, too many people thinking that a fast dual core is a downgrade from their slow and EOL quads. In reality, it's not. Too many people thinking that a fast dual core can't game and will hold them back. In reality, it won't. It's something I try to explain, but now that I have a better GPU at my disposal I can run all the latest games at max settings.

I would be very interested. When i bought my CPU I went of off Tom's hardware best for $100 bucks.
I am pretty sure that there is a cheaper intel CPU that performs better in gaming, Its like a G something.

When a game is properly multithreaded my CPU comes out on top(from what I've read), and for dual core stuff the cheaper intel one comes out on top, but single core performance is very important in gaming so long story short, I would like to see those benchmarks. and it would help others out, and not just me, this thread has alot of views.

I would be very interested. When i bought my CPU I went of off Tom's hardware best for $100 bucks.
I am pretty sure that there is a cheaper intel CPU that performs better in gaming, Its like a G something.

When a game is properly multithreaded my CPU comes out on top(from what I've read), and for dual core stuff the cheaper intel one comes out on top, but single core performance is very important in gaming so long story short, I would like to see those benchmarks. and it would help others out, and not just me, this thread has alot of views.
There isn't actually a game that is properly threaded. I've seen Far Cry 3 use up to 91% of my 3960x and disabling 2 cores made no difference at all in performance.

I would be curious to see the results. What GPU are you thinking of using?
My GTX 580 overclocked. Should net me about 660ti performance.

Making a slight update with new hardware that was just released.

I absolutely do NOT recommend the Corsair RM series as I do not trust the OEM for this series. Rumor mill has it that these are replacing the HX line which doesn't make much sense, but either way, steer clear of these units.

I come from China
Telling you my opinion, INTEL is now four generations of CPU, with B85 Z87 motherboard, such as for home, AMD is very cost-effective. What do you think?

Extremely relevant here guys. I see too many thinking getting a Corsair CX for your 700w system is good simply because it's Corsair. Wrong! Quality is a major deal with power supply units. Just listen to Linus for a few minutes if you don't want to read anything I have to type up.
Despite his joke, I do not consider CM to be a very reputable brand but they also sponsor his video. Just some salt there.

Why not become an official computer hardware beta tester ?
Your about to take over TF daily in the hardware sub-forums.
Just a thought I might share, since your direct career maybe in the music industrie.
Wouldn't hurt to have this on the side and little chunk change in your bank from time to time.

How to Become a Hardware Beta Tester: 5 Steps (with Pictures)

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll get asked a lot since Watch Dogs seems to be a sweet game.

No you do not need an i7 for this game. An i5 4440 or FX 8350 would be plenty.

Back
Top Bottom