Your CPU and modern games: A guide to those building.

Makes sense - it wouldn't let me run anything really.
Ahh okay then, i had looked on my system specs (not online), but Vista really didn't want to tell me much.

Oh, and great guide - you mentioned cycles per clock in one of my first threads regarding which processor to choose, and it went straight over my head. This was very helpful!

If budget permits go with the i5 but don't sacrifice GPU performance for it. No need to go AMD.

The OP will be updated later with new information.

You gave me alot of good reasons to NOT go with an I5.. Now you're gonna have to give me reasons to go with an I5! :lol:

Money isint much of an issue, but I don't like the idea of paying for something I'd almost never need.

A little update!

Just a little update from recent news I acquired!

I have started to play Farcry 3 and this game is indeed pretty multi-threaded. The game uses all 6 of my cores with an average of 50%+ total CPU usage. Sometimes making a small average of around 80% and peaking at 97 or 100.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/pp_mguire/20121130_195701.jpg

A friend of mine also is reporting 6 out of 8 core use on his FX8350 with butter smooth performance. For the sake of this thread I went ahead and dropped my cores down to 2. I took a hit of about 12FPS total all settings maxed and 4xMSAA.

Fear not, at 4 cores I had comparable performance to 6 cores. Anybody buying an i3 3220 should not have a problem playing this game as an i3 has HT giving you 4 threads.

This is the power of things coded purely for the PC. Stock clocks, and 32GB of RAM isn't even necessary for this setup since they are only using 1.8GB worth of textures. 60FPS for this level of detail on a PC that can be made for slightly more than a grand disregarding other luxuries like SSD. I believe they could achieve the same thing with a 3570k, 670, and 8GB of RAM stock. And people wonder why I wish consoles were taken out of the scene.

Agni's Philosophy – Characters Tech Demos – System Specs Revealed – New Details Unveiled | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

Oh yea I should clarify, I'm not talking about the editorial, but rather rendering the demo scene they released in June. A game coded the way they did this could be run on the aforementioned rig.

So over in the OT section we were talking about the effects of gaming on 4GB and 8GB, specifically in BF3. This perked my interest up as I'm currently running a "run of the mill" CPU, and so of course I decided to do some testing.

Each test is done on the same 64 player server with 64 players on it. The map is Canals and the game type is TDM. Each test is done at stock settings. Stock CPU, stock GPU, stock RAM both at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 timings. I had everything I normally run in the background going for each test which is Xfire, Skype, FRAPS, Origin, and Chrome (typically with Gmail, Facebook, and Battlelog tabs open) just for some background action. Each test I record FPS for 5 minutes.

BF3i5750580stock.jpg

As we can see, not much of a difference. Reason being, BF3 doesn't take that much RAM to begin with so the only reason you would need more RAM is if you have a ton of junk running in the background. If you have performance issues, this would be why.

Please realize, not every test done is going to be exactly the same due to the nature of MP. This is as realistically possible I can get to benching BF3. Small map, lots of people, tons of explosions and gunfire.
This post was supposed to go in my own thread, not the GPU list thread.

What most people do not know, as well, is that refurbished units (i.e. Dell Precision T7400 with {2} 3.2GHz Quad-Cores and 8Gb Quad-Channel DDR2) with a newer card will work with most games on highest settings (hits 7.8 Windows Rating).

What most people do not know, as well, is that refurbished units (i.e. Dell Precision T7400 with {2} 3.2GHz Quad-Cores and 8Gb Quad-Channel DDR2) with a newer card will work with most games on highest settings (hits 7.8 Windows Rating).
Depends on where you get them, and for how much. Did a quick Google search for it and I found 2 between 650 and 800. For that price you'd be better off getting a 3570k setup and grabbing a better GPU. As I mentioned as well, if you are in need of super heavy CPU intensive tasks the dual quad setup would be good but you would most likely be better off with the 3930k as well. Just depends on usage and price for the used components.

Back
Top Bottom