Yet Another New Gaming Computer Topic Thing (Advice Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

junny

Beta member
So, I am finally building a new computer for gaming. However, I honestly don't know much about computers and computer parts so I need some advice on which parts are better or which parts are more cost-effective, etc. If you have the time, please look over my list and maybe make some recommendations! Oh and the budget is around 700-800 dollars. So far my list has amounted to ~$764ish dollars.

Case - Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases Looks good, mid tower is big enough to hold my things $59.99 MIR

Graphics Card - Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - Radeon 5770 $179.99

Processor - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops - AMD Phenom II Quadcore 3.2 Ghz. $165

Power Supply - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies - 750W $90 MIR

RAM - Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Desktop Memory - 4GB 1600 mhz 94.99

Hard Drive - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - 500GB, I don't think I need 1 TB of space lol $69.99

MOBO - Newegg.com - ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards - AM3 sockets, DDR3 1800 $84.99

DVD DRIVE - Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - CD / DVD Drives $19.99

Would I need anything else? Maybe fan/coolant? A friend said I would be fine with stock fans but I just wanna make sure everything will be fine. Also what things do I need to watch out for when looking at compatibility issues?

Thanks in advance! :)

Everything is compatible. However I do have some suggestions.

First, the DVD Burner. I recommend a Sony Optiarc like this one, Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners . These are a little more expensive than the one you have there but it will last longer and they perform better in my experience.

Second, have you considered an operating system into your price?

Third, If you ever plan on using SLI anytime, then you might want to get a mother board that has two PCIe x 16 slots.

These are just suggestions, but what you have there is fine.

I agree with Rubber_Ducky, if you're planning to run two cards in the future you should buy this mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4N72-E AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards since it has two 2 x PCIe 2.0 ports. If you're not planning on running two cards then you don't need to buy a 750W PSU. A 500W should be fine.

well first though, that mobo wouldnt work with ddr3 ram.

also, even if he were planning on running two cards later on, hes selected a 5770. he wouldnt be able to use crossfire on a mobo with an nvidia chipset.

@ junny,

if you use the combos, you can get the same cpu and ram, but with a better mobo and a faster gfx card for around the same amount of money (give or take like 10-$15) youre spending on your current choices.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

and keep the power supply you picked if you think you might want a second gfx card in the future.

You're right, I mixed up the links, wanted to post the one on the combo you've posted. Thanks for correcting me.

Hey guys! Sorry for responding so late, I didn't even know this topic existed. I thought something weird happened and this topic never got posted. But anyway...

Rubber_Ducky, thanks for the DVD advice. I honestly just picked a random DVD drive because I assumed it didn't really matter

Hmm, I'm not too sure about the 2 cards thing. I mean, I know I'm only going with 1 card for now so maybe I should just get a lower PSU? The only reason why I opted for a 750W PSU was because my friend said I needed one to run a quadcore or something.

I'll look at the combo deals, thanks for the lists!!

edit: Ah the radeon 4890. Hmm, from what I read the pros of the 5770 over the 4890 is that it has directx11 support. Is that all? I know the 4890 has better power (I think)

your friend is wrong, you dont need 750w to run a quad core, you have to factor in all the other hardware youre using and that will decide what psu to get.

you can go with either of the psus that Ste had linked above ^ and save a little money, they will work fine for your rig.

and not a problem on the dual card setup, i was just trying to keep that future option for another upgrade open to you.

in that case, keep the original cpu you chose, the x4 955

you can switch to this mobo instead, its a little cheaper too.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

for the gfx card, yes the 5770 supports dx11 while the 4890 is a faster card.
take a look here to give you an idea. http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

i suggested the combo with the 4890 because its just a good deal; $30 off which made it cheaper than the 5770.

if you want the 5770 though, get this combo

and you can just go with the original corsair ddr3 ram you picked.

I know I've told this story before but... a friend of mine built a machine for doing his heavy processing (lots of compiling etc). For the purpose he chose a 1000W corsair PSU and 2 very fast, quad core xeons but didn't require much of a graphics card. He measured the power it was drawing from the wall at full load and found it was less than 250W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom