Yet another cry for help unto the gaming gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsimpson777

Solid State Member
Greetings!

Once again, a noob in the arts of computer-building is seeking the advice of the pros.

I am about to start college, and i want a new gaming PC that can run the most graphic-intensive games at the smoothest pace and highest performance possible under around $3,000. I recently went to digitalstormonline.com to customize my computer, and here is what i have so far.

*I will be buying a second graphics card as soon as i raise the funds

Just looking for some input and comments on improvements and possible compatibility issues. I especially want to make sure that i have proper cooling for my system

Thanks a ton in advance!

*Also, would it be worth it to pay the extra 50 bucks or so to get them to overclock my system for me? Or is it just as easy to do it myself and save the cash?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932

Processor: Intel Core i7 940 2.93 GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)

System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)

Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: V8 Cooler Master High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)

Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)

for starters get an i7 920. the 940 is a waste of money.

Second. you would save a ton of money building it yourself. You could get 2 x gtx285's in a build for under $3000.

If you do not want to build that is just fine.

I would not spend the $50 to have them overclock. If you want to just come back and we will help.

/\ speedy :)

thats way overpriced for those parts, for 3 grand, you would get a monster pc. do you also need the monitor, keyboard, mouse? or just the tower?

I just need the tower.

As far as parts go, does it look good? im sure i can get it cheaper if i build it myself. Assuming that i DO build it myself, does everything look solid?

the haf case has good cooling in general, its still good with another card. the cooler master v8 is a cpu cooler that i think is really only worth it when doing extreme overclocking on air.

look for ram that says ddr3 1600 (pc3 12800)

and like suggested above, just get the i7 920, the 940 isnt worth the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom