Yes, another one of those threads. Building a PC, need a review. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Thumbs up Yes, another one of those threads. Building a PC, need a review.

I am trying to keep my build on a $1000 budget. This is minus a monitor, optical drives, case, PSU(hopefully). I have been spending nearly a week trying to figure what I want to go with. Reading reviews, after reviews. I keep flip flopping between motherboards, memory and video cards because some say YES and some say NO.

I am looking for an everyday machine, with gaming being 80% of the use, with video editing, downloading, movies being the other 20%.

My main concern now is my power supply. I have an Antec True 430w PSU. It came with the ANTEC PLUS 1080AMG case I got from newegg about 2 years ago. It has a 20 pin power connector and then a 2nd one with (aux) 4 pins. I see that the motherboards are 24pins now. Will I even be able to run a new 939 motherboard with this supply, if so how.

My PSU Specs:

+5V -Max 36A
+12V -Max 20A
+3.5V -Max 28A
-5V -Max .5A
-12V -Max 1.0A
+5V -Max 2.0A

If so, will that PSU be able to power this system? If not, what would you recommend?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
OCZ Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
SAPPHIRE 100130VIVOL Radeon X800GTO2
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V250F0 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Plus 1 DVD RW/Floppy Drive

Keep in mind, I like tweaking settings. So I will probably want to OC the system a little bit. Will the stock H/S/F on the X2 3800+ be able to handle a little tweaking without burning up? And will the memory be able to OC a little bit. I do not want to push the system as far as it can go, just a little more grunt if I feel like it.

Remember my budget is $1000, but if you see something that could be swapped for something of better performance/quality without a drastic change in the price, please post it with a reason why.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i woudl swap the mobo to a DFI lanparty NF4 ultra-D cos its the best overclocker around and is also a good performer. that ram will be a very poor overclocker beacause its 2X1gig sticks and even its 2X512mb equiv doesn't oc well at all but thats fine as long as ur happy to use a devider. i prefer segate and wd to maxtor cos their just more reliable but maxtor is fine i spose. as for gfx cards i would get the 6800GS or 7800GT but the X800GTO2 is also a very good card when unlocked

overall its a nice system and yea i reakon that psu should be fine for now

AMD 64 939 3200+@2.7ghz
Segate 120gig SATA
1gig PC3200 Geil Value Ram Duel Channel@ddr480 3-3-3-8
Gigabyte 6600GT-PCI-E@580/1.3
Old 01-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If you want to overclock, get the Opteron 165 instead of the 3800 X2.
Closed Thread