Yes, another one of those threads. Building a PC, need a review. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Thumbs up Yes, another one of those threads. Building a PC, need a review.

I am trying to keep my build on a $1000 budget. This is minus a monitor, optical drives, case, PSU(hopefully). I have been spending nearly a week trying to figure what I want to go with. Reading reviews, after reviews. I keep flip flopping between motherboards, memory and video cards because some say YES and some say NO.

I am looking for an everyday machine, with gaming being 80% of the use, with video editing, downloading, movies being the other 20%.

My main concern now is my power supply. I have an Antec True 430w PSU. It came with the ANTEC PLUS 1080AMG case I got from newegg about 2 years ago. It has a 20 pin power connector and then a 2nd one with (aux) 4 pins. I see that the motherboards are 24pins now. Will I even be able to run a new 939 motherboard with this supply, if so how.

My PSU Specs:

+5V -Max 36A
+12V -Max 20A
+3.5V -Max 28A
-5V -Max .5A
-12V -Max 1.0A
+5V -Max 2.0A

If so, will that PSU be able to power this system? If not, what would you recommend?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
OCZ Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
SAPPHIRE 100130VIVOL Radeon X800GTO2
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V250F0 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Plus 1 DVD RW/Floppy Drive

Keep in mind, I like tweaking settings. So I will probably want to OC the system a little bit. Will the stock H/S/F on the X2 3800+ be able to handle a little tweaking without burning up? And will the memory be able to OC a little bit. I do not want to push the system as far as it can go, just a little more grunt if I feel like it.

Remember my budget is $1000, but if you see something that could be swapped for something of better performance/quality without a drastic change in the price, please post it with a reason why.

Thanks in advance.


wireeater is offline  
Old 01-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 943

i woudl swap the mobo to a DFI lanparty NF4 ultra-D cos its the best overclocker around and is also a good performer. that ram will be a very poor overclocker beacause its 2X1gig sticks and even its 2X512mb equiv doesn't oc well at all but thats fine as long as ur happy to use a devider. i prefer segate and wd to maxtor cos their just more reliable but maxtor is fine i spose. as for gfx cards i would get the 6800GS or 7800GT but the X800GTO2 is also a very good card when unlocked

overall its a nice system and yea i reakon that psu should be fine for now

AMD 64 939 3200+@2.7ghz
Segate 120gig SATA
1gig PC3200 Geil Value Ram Duel Channel@ddr480 3-3-3-8
Gigabyte 6600GT-PCI-E@580/1.3
Sh0r_ty is offline  
Old 01-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 841

If you want to overclock, get the Opteron 165 instead of the 3800 X2.
NathanM is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.