Xeon's for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Well, I've got some considering to do. Till' now, my plan was to wait for the Phenoms, if the Phenoms suck, to wait until the Yorkfields....

But - yesterday Intel unveiled 16 45nm processors. One of them caught my eye, the quad-core Xeon E5420, part of the Xeon series codenamed 'Harpertown'. Curiously enough, it's MSRP was $316, the exact same price for the Q9450 being released in January. It's got the same 12MB L2 cache as well. The E5405, a lower-clocked model, goes for as low as $209!

Now, I don't know much about server/workstation CPUs, but I remember back in the day when I was interested in an Opteron 165, everybody said it was a formidable processor for gaming and that it overclocked very well because of a higher grade silicon used for server processors.

Is the same true for the Xeons? Can I use it for a gaming rig? They seem like quite a good option.

Now another thing is it's LGA771, am I correct in assuming that it should have no trouble being recognized in an LGA775 motherboard?

hrmm thats weird.. but the kentsfield xeons x3210's and such.. all work on lga775.. but are lga775... never heard of lga771... and i havent heard anything on lga771's being made.. that is a good question

but then again, this isa different structure than the yorksfields.. hrmmmm i don't know if it'll be the same? cuz at least todays xeons are still conroe/kentsfield

I believe these are Penryns.

PS. Every time I read one of your posts, I can't help but imagine you have a Peter from 'Family Guy' voice, because of that old sig. It's really driving me insane.

LGA 771 is the socket for server boards, and no they won't fit in a 775 board.

Besides, ever since the Core architecture was released Xeons = Core 2 Duos. THey are IDENTICAL.

For example, X3220 = Q6600,

LGA 771 is the socket for server boards, and no they won't fit in a 775 board.

Besides, ever since the Core architecture was released Xeons = Core 2 Duos. THey are IDENTICAL.

For example, X3220 = Q6600,

really i never new that, interesting never really looked into server cpus b4

ya i always thought it but was never sure.. i considered buy a x3210 xeon over the q6600.. but i realized i didnt want x8 multi.. so i said forget it

i remember ppl buying xeons over q6600 ages ago because i think were cheaper wen first came out or sumthin or other. must be coz identical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom