Xeon Processor Vs i7 Processor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Xeon Processor Vs i7 Processor

I am still trying to figure some last parts I want for my new computer.

I came across these processors today

Intel Xeon X5680 Westmere 3.33GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Server Processor BX80614X5680

Or any Xeon Six core for that matter.

I'm not too familiar with these processors.

Can anyone give me some comparitive information on this processor and the i7-980X Extreme...

Thank you,

Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Xeon Processor Vs i7 Processor

The Xeon is usually made from a better grade of Silicon. This usually means that all the cpu's are more likely to be identical to each other. Because of this closer tolerance the cpu's are able to work in a dual configuration. The Xeon's are usually good overclockers but your paying a big premium if your not building a dual cpu system. The 980X is basically a Xeon without dual cpu support, and the 980X does have an unlocked Multiplier, which should prove more useful in a Desktop PC.
Closed Thread

Posting Rules